Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Insurance claims and Self repair

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Bosi72, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

Couple days ago two drunken ladies dropped my bike...

Discussed with RACV call centre about the claim process. Explained that I am a mechanic-hobbyist and perform all mechanic repairs/services by myself and asked if I could fix the bike by myself.
    They (RACV) explained all the fixes must be made by qualified mechanic.

Now question for legal guys:
    Is there any "insurance law" which state that I am allowed do motorcycle repairs by myself rather than going through the "qualified motorcycle mechanic" ? (btw couldn't find that job description on any TAFE).

PS: In USA for example you can get a cheque sent by insurance company on agreed sum and perform the fix.
  2. Howdy,

You can also allow RACV to obtain a quote for you and have them assess the damage, then also obtain a quote yourself for the parts you would need to repair the bike. Submit your own price to them (being that you won't include labor costs then it will be cheaper for them) and chances are they will agree to cash sett you on your amount.

However prior to your insurance renewal you may need to go in for an inspection to show that the bike has been fixed.

The advantage of going through RACV though is that you won't have to take the time to fix it yourself, and they will also guarantee the repairs done on the bike by their repairer. So if you stuff something up, you gotta pay, but if they stuff it up, no problems for you.

In regards to a specific insurance law, unsure, however the policy they sold you will say that they will decide whether to repair, replace or settle you for the damage. And because they have said that in the policy book, and you have agreed to it by purchasing the policy, then you wouldn't have much chance of getting out of it.

But at the end of the day, if you show them a quote of parts cost only, they will most likely pay you, as long as you ask if a manager can look at it and approve it.
  3. There is no insurance law as such, but there could be terms (usually are) in the contract of insurance that state the work must be done by an "authorised" repairer, if they are to pay for it.
    (Eg: Qualified and experienced.)

That is not to say that instead of a repair a cash pay out cannot be negotiated, in which case it (the repair) becomes 100% your responsibilty.
  4. [​IMG]

That insurer does not impose such inspections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.