Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Insurance Claim? How Did you go?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by flashthebiker, Jul 17, 2007.

1. looking through lots of posts trying to get an idea of how insurance companies rate when making a claim.

Sure, up front cost is an issue, but it's when you make a claim that the real value in the policy is delivered.

Tell us which company you have made a claim through and how they did?

BTW I'm with Swann in WA (Not sure but the state you live in may? impact on how your claim is dealt with??). Looking at changing to Western QBE, but their monthly premuim is 1-tenth of annual - a 17% loading to pay monthly.

2. Be careful and read all clauses. I know in the WQBE booklet one of the clauses under the theft part says.

Bike must be locked, and not left unattended.

So tell me, when you go to the shops etc, is your bike attended, um NO !!

I had this pointed out to me, guess what, they dont insure my bike anymore.. :evil:

3. Only relevant to cars, not bikes, but my experience is -

1 x claim through AAMI - Stolen Car. They shit me around, investigated me and took MONTHS to pay out.

2 x not at fault claims through Suncorp Metway. One on my policy, the other on the other drivers policy. Both times they were brilliant. Quick, efficient, forked out for hire cars in both instances and in one, paid out the value of my written off car in less than a week.

Not sure if Suncorp Metway do bikes though :? But anyways, AAMI are crap and I personally wouldn't use them again.

4. I just read this clause myself as i am with WQBE...it actually says

"For theft or damage when you or an insured person leave your bike unattended AND unlocked in a public place"

So as with any insurance company...if you leave it unlocked at the shops and it is stolen...your problem.

If it is locked at the shops and stolen...their problem

5. i want a definition of "locked" can you just lock the handlebars to the side via the ignition barrel or do you need to put a disc lock on?

6. It gives and example of leaving the bike unattended with the keys in the ignition

bit ambiguous .....hope i don't find out what they mean the hard way :grin:

7. From the QBE booklet it seems to indicate that unlocked = leaving the keys in it.

I would always be using the steering lock & a disc lock though. Stop the mongrel who doesn't know what he's doing.

8. Steering lock?...i know of the disklocks

do you mean the steering lock when you take the keys out and turn to the left?

9. That's the one. Steering lock. That's what I've always called it. I know what I mean. :p :LOL:

10. So do you think disk locks are essential?

I don't have one and am scared if i get one i'll forget about it (i'm great at forgetting stuff)and destroy the brake

11. Buy a disc lock and the bright fluro cable reminders so you won't forget :)

bully_cable.

:biker:

12. will do thanks for the advice :cool:

13. I've got an Abus disc lock that has an inbuilt alarm that goes off if the bike is moved. So there's no chance of forgetting that babey! Its a freakin heavy bugger tho. :grin:

14. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i bet it has an inbuilt TILT sensor :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. Lets put it this way.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Actually it does!! :grin: :LOL: :p

16. Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I am sure i read it the way i thought.. :?