Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Insurance categories

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Spud Gun, Jun 6, 2006.

1. My understanding of motorcycle categories is that a bike exists in an insurance category, and that is a major factor in the insurance quote that you are given. Its a static thing and cant get increased or lowered on a stock machine. Who decides what bike goes into what category and how do they do it? Is it a federal or state thing that insurance companies follow or is it a corporate policy?

Anyway, is there a site that lists the insurance categories of bikes so that you know how fleeced you may be before you submit your insurance quote? Insurance category is a huge factor when buying a bike, so it would be good to have a (very long) page containing category headings and a list of all bikes within each category. There doesn't seem to be any such resource in Australia from what I could see. Could we do that here? I would gladly contribute to such a list.
  2. Insurance companies set the risk categories of the bikes based on what their actuaries come up with.

I've got a two year old copy of a British bike mag which had the category rating for most types of bikes out there, so can't be that uncommon information.

BTW, I tend to get quotes for insurance before buying a bike :)
  3. The categories are decided by the type of bike. Cat 5 being the highest includes your litre sports bikes, and hypersports bikes. Then as i am not sure where others fit in i cant fit them into categories. Lets say something like a GSX750F, probably be a category 2 or 3. Then a 600 sports might be a cat 4. So depending on what they class as high performance or not and how likely it is to be stolen thats where it fits into a category.. Hope this helps. And yes get quotes on insurance before you buy a big bike..
  4. I know RACV has an online quote thing on their website where you can enter your details and get an estimate. I found that when I reng though I got a better rate. But still not a bad place to start. I also rang the insurance company with a list of what I was thinking of buying which was probably much quicker way as their systems can extract the details quicker than you get them online.