Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Insurance and Selling a Bike

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by SOL3Ride, Mar 14, 2013.

  1. Before I start let me just say the bike is not in use at the moment so I'm not riding around uninsured and unregistered.

    My CTP Greenslip, Fire and Theft Insurance with another Insurer and registration all have recently lapsed. I am planning on selling this bike as soon as possible (I have no need to use it as a commuter and no time for weekend twisties :( ). For the bike to be legal for sale can someone please clarify for me:

    - I must first renew the CTP in my name. Do I then have to transfer this when I sell it into the new owners name or is the CTP related to the bike itself and whoevers riding it.
    - Once the CTP has been paid I can renew the registration and list it for sale
    - Any additional insurance is know the responsibility of the buyer

    Am I correct? This stuff is a bureaucratic nightmare

  2. Correct. CTP is tied to the bike and transfers to the new owner.
  3. You dont have to renew the CTP (if it's same process as a car). I bought a car that was out of rego, drove it home on the dealers trade plate then just got new CTP in my name, new vehicle insurance and went down to the RTA to transfer and register the car. It had been out of rego for about 1 month.