Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Insulin dependant diabetes when riding

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Steve Vtec, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Anyone else dealing with this ballache? It's been a bit over 13 years now since I was diagnosed with this often misunderstood medical condition and although it's so much easier for me to manage now that I'm a little bit older and a little bit wiser than I was at the time, there's nothing I can think of that's quite similar to the annoyance of having to pull over once an hour to monitor my blood glucose level and to eat or not eat and inject or not inject, to work out how much insulin I had with my breakfast and how much and what kind of food I ate and how much exercise I've been doing and what my mood is like and if I'm stressed at all and a multitude of other factors, and how all of this can and will affect my blood glucose and hence affect the next hour of my ride, it just shiits me to tears sometimes and I was wondering if anyone else here ever goes on a similar rant

At least I can still ride, I guess there's plenty of worse things that could happen. I'm just a bit annoyed about it today...

2. Here in Vic you have to get your HbA1C checked every 2 years to keep your licence. If it is over 8 you have your licence suspended - as my son found out much to his annoyance!! Good to hear you keep on top of testing and carb counting. If you can afford it, an insulin pump is the way to go.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yeah I figured a medical condition which directly affects every single ride I take was off topic in this forum, but whatever. I'm new, I'll post where I'm told to :p
  4. #4 Mcsenna, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    You did nothing wrong mate, could have been left where it was truth be told but it's something worth a discussion in the pub.
    I guess a lot of us are having to manage ailments of various sorts that affect how and when we ride. Backs, necks and just pure old age can be pains in the arse. And yes an occasional rant is good for the soul :).

Edit: In fact seeing the post relates to how your condition affects your riding, lets put it back into the General Motorcycling forum.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Been doing this for 16 years, and yes some days can be a real pain in the arse. Not all people understand how much it can effect you.
    My son also has type 1 diabetes and rides as well, we try and do Great Ocean rd at least once a year ( we live 5 Hours from each other) which makes it hard to arrange but it is well worth it.
    Just be happy when you have one of those magical days on the bike.
  6. I bet you've got the number of your proctologist on speed dial. ;)
  7. If you only knew how close you were to the truth.
  8. Wow - that is hard and fast! In SA I am required to provide a medical report every 12 months to Transport SA. Without the report being provided and the doctor certifying me , I cannot renew registration or drive.

I have noticed that my insulin requirements tend to be fairly low while I am riding so planning of breakfast / insulin dose is important- health benefits of motorcycling!

I would be interested to know whether how you pack pens, test kit for a day ride At the moment i just stuff everything in my jacket pocket but am thinking of getting a small tank bag that I could insulate. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
  9. here in qld I have to do the medical cert every year , and doing the HBA1C every 3 months can be a pain, but ask about changing your insulin types maybe so you can be more accurate and worry free for your long rides , I have just gotten my re open at 51 years so its going to be an eye opener I'm sure , looking at a zzr250 next week to start on , cant wait
  10. Nice one. I wear a back pack pretty much everywhere, I got a sweet waterproof one that's actually waterproof, so I just throw everything in there. It can be a bit uncomfortable sometimes, I definitely think a tank bag or a tail bag would be better for riding. Are you looking to insulate the bag to keep the insulin cool? Because I am not sure that is as necessary as they make out. Obviously I'm not a doctor so don't take my word on that. But I've travelled for months at a time with the entire trip's worth of insulin in my back pack, totally refrigerated and uninsulated, and I was still have hypo's at the end of the trip.
  11. *totally unrefrigerated...
  12. Best check with diabetes educator. Prior to getting pump we were always led to believe ( rightly or wrongly?) that if the short acting degrades it could change its effectiveness profile and then its harder to get dosage/timing/carb counting right. So we always had Techno Ice packs in very freezer and a small insulated bag ready to toss things in on a very hot day.
    After going to pump there was no way to keep the insulin in it cool but there were no problems. So you can carry insulin on a hot day or near body temperature on a cold day!. I suspect it is a case of being aware of how long it takes for insulin to degrade and at what temperatures and make sure you use it all up within those temperature/timeframes.
  13. #13 BrianW, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Cheers Guys - thanks for the input:] I think that I will go for a Tank Bag and slip a frozen water in a hand towel - that should do the job on hot days!
  14. I hope you get to ride with understanding people who don't mind the stops.
  15. I use a little esky bag (insulated lunch bags at Woolies) with a couple of freezer pack inside. Stays cold all day.
  16. Perfect :)
  17. great thread, I had never considered this.

eye opener.
  18. Good info. One of my mates is dealing with this and we sometimes forget his needs.