Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WA Instructors Insurance - Am I covered?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Ditto, May 20, 2014.

  1. Hi there just wondering if anyone knows if I am covered on my instructors insurance only I came off doing emergency stops in rain and he has told me I have to pay $500 for repairs. Surely this is not right, he never explained this to me when I started lessons with him. Or is there anyway of finding out this information. Many thanks. Ditto

  2. Hello, that's a rather unique way of introducing yourself.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Justus, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    You are not covered for anything.

    The damage to property however is covered by Comprehensive insurance. When the insured lodges a claim, he/she ordinarily needs to contribute financially to that claim. One would think based on the little information you've provided, that the $500 is what the instructor needs to pay in order for his insurer to repair the damage you caused.

    Your options are relatively straight forward: Pay the contribution, or do nothing and wait until the insurer comes after you for the full cost of repairs.

    Link: Driving Instructors Policy

    or you can pick up the phone and ask.

    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm not sure, but that sucks either way.

    I presume $500 is the excess? My thoughts would be that it is their business, and they are liable for any insurance or repairs. Did you sign anything, or can they provide you with any formal, written conditions? If not, I don't think you are liable.
  5. FWIW, my understanding of Instructor's Insurance (as in NSW) had nothing to do with the trainee's bike, and was a "professional indemnity" type thing, so that if the instructor was sued, they might still be left with a house to live in.

    Since I never operated as a professional instructor, I might be wrong here.