Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

installing camera onto bike - advice please

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by SHEPPO, Dec 31, 2008.

1. hello all,

i've been contemplating the idea of installing a rear facing camera, and an additional front facing one to my bike.

why? well i see so much crap on the roads, that it angers me, and i've said to myself a thousand times, "wish i got that on camera!" seems whenever some twit does something stupid on the roads, the TMU are no where to be seen.

also, having the camera(s) would make for wicked footage when hooting thru the twisties (below the speed limit) and at the track... not to mention how good a tool it'd be when on mentoring rides, etc, recording a rider's form... etc, etc.

so, any tech heads out there who would know of what type of camera(s) i should be looking at, and how to store the recorded data? obviously there's minimal spare room on a sports bike, so whatever storage device i'd use would have to be small, like the size of a OEM tool kit that would live under the pillion seat, etc.

camera placement isn't an issue, nor a start/stop recording button.
  2. Firstly, expect to pay several hundred/up to a thousand or two for such a system, depending on how professional you go - it'll need to be a setup designed and prepared for the rigors of being ridden around (eg bumps, intense heat and alot of vibration).

And you'd probably also want handlebar controls and some sort of screen to make sure its actually recording as otherwise you'll never know.

The cheaper route is something like the oregon scientific camera, you can get them for about $180 or so (sorry I bought mine a few months ago so can't remember exactly, it might have been a bit cheaper, perhaps 150ish). Super easy to mount (duct tape if you're lazy like me, or rig up a mount on the pillion footpeg or chasis facing backwards). Supports 2 gig card which lasts many hours on lower resolution. But you need to keep it on max resolution to get anything worthwhile.

Comprehensive insurance is alot cheaper and more practical.
  3. I've been thinking about getting some sort of camera system to record my cruises. The MotoCam Shockbox 2009 seems pretty good for $550 USD. Pity we're still not 1-1 with the USD.
  4. thanks guys.

i'm only contemplating it at the moment, so doing research into what's out there and worthwhile, etc.

keep the good info coming!
  5. I use one of these for my bike rides.

Oregon ATC2K

For less then $200, I think it does the job very well. Used it during the track day and mounted it on the mirror arm. Worked a treat. Also has a microphone...but not that great of a microphone, tends to distort with lots of noise. This can be overcome by opening the unit up and putting a bit of blu-tac on the small mic :D.

Video quality is good...the only downside with it is that it's slow to transfer (USB1.1...can be overcome with card reader) and uses a lot of memory for best quality video...2Gb for under 60mins of footage :?. Max SD card that can be used is 2Gb.

In saying that...you get what you pay for, and for the price I paid, it wasn't too bad since it is working.

There is a new model out though...the ATC3K, can hold up to 4GB SD cards and has a large field of view.

Anyways, if you plan on using it for a recording your commuting to work, it isn't all that bad.

phong =P~
  6. The ATC3K is only a slightly larger field: about 47 degrees vs about 45, & I had to really look at the footage to appreciate any difference.

The ATC3K is better with its mic than the ATC2K, & seems better suited to high speed. The ATC3K didn't pick up engine static either like the ATC2K.

There is an aftermarket helmet mount on Ebay, but I didn't buy this because it will interfere with the visor & vents etc.

I made my own helmet mount that attaches to the visor by velcro as pictured.

Araldited the spikey wide velcro to a rainwater tank fitting (cut in two) from Bunnings.

Fluffy velcro attached to spikey velcro to hold it flat while it's Araldited to the visor: thought it better to have maximum contact & strength from the velcro, & make the Araldite fill in the contours of the visor. I already tested if the Araldite on an old visor to make sure it didn't melt.

Used the supplied bar mount to mount it to my made-up fitting.

Safety zip ties go through helmet strap.

Everything held together well on a 250K trip on Sunday, going up to national speed limit.
    The ATC2K sound is improved with a bit of tape over the mic.

There's the VholdR (something like that) which produces good footage & a much wider angle, too.

7. #10 rpmorrell, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Yep you get what you pay for alright
  9. I noticed that the audio was dubbed over with music on the bike cameras and I suspect that much like the Go Pro Camera I have, its mic doesn't deal with the sound of rushing wind without sounding like white noise on playback. The only time they leave the audio on is for non-movement shots.
  10. I bought a camera mount made by Start rider (AU) from Ebay, was around $60. Works brilliantly with my Full HD SD Samsung camera ...

it mounts on the tank ...
  11. Just today I've gone and fashioned a connection from the goggle strap mount to one of my rear pillion pegs for my ContourHD, in order to shoot behind.