Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Installing a ground anchor on a public street?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by guest1347, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Hi,

I live in Sydney and I used to be able to lock my bike up in the driveway of my apartment building (in Coogee) however I have now moved to Stanmore and the only parking is street parking. The street is a pretty average suburban street. There is an old motorcycle that is parked on the street and never moves, fortunately there is room for me between this bike and a driveway so I am gauranteed the same spot every day.

I have been looking at devices like the Kryptonite Stronghold Anchor and am wondering if anyone has ever had any problems from the council installing these on the side of a public street?
  2. If I was you I'd put it in somewhere discretely (near the gutter maybe).
  3. Legally I'd say no you cant install your own ground anchor on public land (footpath or nature strip).

You could try asking council for permission but they'll more than likely say no due to the risk of members of the public tripping over it and suing the council.

Despite all of the above, how will they know it's there if you do it quietly :wink:
  4. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission…
  5. How about locking it to the bike that never moves :wink: .

Seriously though, does the other bike have a chain/shackle lock on it?

Dunno what the situation is here, but in the UK (big bike theft problems) there was a bit of an unspoken convention that it was acceptable to pass your chain/shackle through the next guy's chain/shackle, thus using each others bikes as a ground anchor. Doesn't stop the other bike from leaving and doesn't cause any damage or other problems.

And if the bike that never moves doesn't have a lock on it, I'd say that's evidence that the area's not that dodgy :) .
  6. Or thieves are getting clever…
  7. What kind of bike do you have?

If its a high theft bike then you may be wasting your time even if you get that anchor in.
  8. If you have parking inspectors that come around regularly(I used to live in Surry Hills and they were always around) then it might get noticed fairly quickly. And that may mean your new, paid-for, lock will suddenly vanish.
  9. Well two things... If its locked down, its not like council can tow it away. And if its locked down, and the other isn't, they'll just take it instead :) Better them than you I always say!
  10. What, you think the towing contractor hired by councils doesn't come prepared for things like that :roll:

EDIT: S'pose the same goes for someone who really wants to steal the bike as well.
  11. yah my dad drives a tow truck and they have all sorts a gadgets to remove ground anchors. they even have a do dad that will move a l;arge four wheeled monstrosity with an engine.
  12. I hadn't heard of that, but sounds like a very practical solution. :)
  13. There is an old prick who lives near me who was obviously sick of people parking out the front of his house. So he installed a ground anchor on the curb and put a 6inch chain attached to a big traffic flow witches hat and used to put it on the road.
  14. Hey all, thanks for the replies.

I've found a spot that is only a bit further down the road and has a decent sized tree. I'm just going to wrap chain around that and the back wheel. The bike is only a 250 so hopefully with the chain and a disc lock they won't bother and try and find an R1 instead.
  15. SHHHHHH don't say that, I already had one R1 stolen, don't want another to go walkies.

(it's living in my dinning room atm)
  16. Joining you for dinner then is it? :p
  17. yep so I can keep an eye on it ;)
  18. For sure just do it. Just be stealthy :)