Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Inside the dangerous world of a New York bike messenger

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Nightowl, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Be interesting to see similar done on motorbike couriers ...

2. That was pretty cool, I dug his "war cry". Glad these guys are still around, I wanted to be a courier when I was a kid too, looked like the coolest job in the world, ride bikes around and get PAID!

When I was racing MTB in country vic in high school (late 90s) occasionaly a couple of couriers or bike cops would come down to a meet to hang out and race, and they always wiped the floor with us.
    No matter how much you train or how fit you think you are, someone that rides every single day like it's breathing, would be hard to beat.

By the time I was old enough to consider couriering seriously, the internet had kicked in and the bottom had already dropped out of the market.
    I hope these guys are around forever.

3. Can't see the vid at work but will have a look at it tonight.

Can't say I know the courier industry particularly well but was a point to point courier for a few months in a station wagon. The mob I worked for knew I had my L's bike licence at the time and were always asking when I would get on my proper licence as they were crying out for bike couriers and said they earned more. This was in 2006/7 from memory has the bottom fallen out since then?
  4. I remember watching London's motorcycle couriers in the mid '80s. They really were the maddest and the baddest. The industry seems to have contracted quite a lot and cleaned up a fair bit in the intervening quarter century. That's probably a good thing.

But back in their heyday.............well, it was one of the major influences on my wanting a bike :twisted:
  5. Nice find!
  6. Reminds me of this for some reason