Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Innovative new helmet - rear entry design

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by robsalvv, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Check out this video about an Australian innovative helmet design - the rear entry helmet! I'm impressed.

The concept doesn't seem to be commercially available in Australia despite it being an Australian innovation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Very cool..
  3. Interesting
    I guess my concern is how do those hinges hold up in a crash situation ?
    They are the only thing stopping the helmet coming apart completely.
  4. I would be keen to see some impact videos. the join area sure looks like a weakest link
  5. What a great innovation. Especially the neat fit around the neck which would cut out wind noise.
    Set up a manufacturing plant in Geelong!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Looks good. Only concern as state above would be the strength of the hinge points and obviously how much a impact on one side will affect the opening of the helmet and possibly falling off..
  7. And here is he sad part. Like many good Aussie innovations they have to go overseas for funding and product development. Ultimately they stay overseas for production
  8. I'm not so worried about the hinges given the number of flip top lids passing muster.
  9. Just because they 'pass' would you be confident having your melon in one ?
    We all know there is a standard that needs to be met but we never really know how much they pass it by.

How do the flip top ones hold up when the excrement hits the airconditioning ?
  10. I've got my melon in a flip top when I coach. It meets appropriate standards, so what's the beef? Flip tops are more likely to have their hinges stressed in a prang. Presumably Voztec's hinge design will be just as strong, but it's not the hinge that's my concern, it's the no chin strap - that's the bit that intrigues me.

Naturally, the mandatory standard in each jurisdiction will need to be complied with.

11. Shoot me if I'm wrong but I see little difference between this and flip tops.
  12. its rear entry , i guess dont knock it until you have tried it
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Interesting. No chin strap would allow it to pass in NSW as long as it meets the ADR and is considered "securely fitted and fastened".

How far under that bit under the chin goes might be an issue for some. Could possibly be uncomfortable but would need to try to know. I think I'd prefer my flip up.
  14. I have to get one of these, just for the name alone.
  15. Not commercially viable in Australia? I really doubt they'd fail to reach a market here. It would also obviously be fantastic if they set up a manufacturing plant in Australia, they can get government funding for employment of staff to reduce start up costs given the number of Geelong residents now on unemployment. (Correct me if I'm wrong here - is this only on Disability Employment Service or is it under Job Services Australia as well?)
  16. I like the idea, I would assume it would have to be one of the quietest helemts available.
  17. speed would have to be the biggest advantage , helmet on an off so easy ,
    pity its not an open face invention .
  18. Having been through the ASMA course recently, in the first aid situations where you have to remove a helmet the quick release idea while still retaining rear head and neck support looks great.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. If the flip up component of your modular hemet fails the back, side, top and crown of your head still remain protected and the helmet remains on your head.

if that rear entry helmet fails in a fall especially where rolling happens there is a good chance it will come off your head leaving it completely exposed to injury.

that is vastly different to a tradition open face, with a flip up front.

innovative, yes... but i would want to see some extensive testing. I have had visors ripped off that required levers to be pushed simultaneously and be at certain angles similar to the rear entry helmet design in sliding crashes.