Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Inner Suburban Lane Filtering -- Legal?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mugen86, Apr 24, 2008.

1. I have searched a few places and I have read about people getting booked, some people getting away with it and others where cops have ignored it. I did a bit of filtering today and the lights changed green when I was still sandwiched in between 2 cars. One of the cars gave me a slight bump! It was so close could feel the front of the car on my leg (I hope my rear tire made a mark). He then left a slight gap -- as we all should expect a responsible motorist to do. I didn't want to accelerate too quickly since the bike was cold. Was I doing anything wrong?

Does anybody have a definitive answer?

2. I'm sure this thread will be nuked any second but never the less, filtering and splitting is a no-no (but we all do it).

Now, by the sounds of it you did two things wrong - 1. The area you were in was too tight 2. You didn't have the acceleration to get yourself in to a safe area.

In future filter up to a safe area, in front of traffic so you're visible and ensure you've got the acceleration to get out of there when the green comes. It's a two way street - most car drivers don't mind as long as you don't cause them any issue and you don't slow them down.
  3. Forget about the law. If you want to survive, and get to where you are going quickly and unscathed of body and wallet;
    - don't do it anywhere in sight of a cop. Legal or illegal, you are putting them in a difficult position, because most car drivers expect them to do something about it. Sometimes they will (nearly always on a freeway).
    - don't rush, think about it before you move.
    - give yourself a margin for error, and if you can't - wait.
    - as far as drivers are concerned, YOU are in the wrong. Don't argue - you can't win. If you are in a position where a car bumps you, it's probably because you shouldn't have gone there.

Let's not have another one about the law, please.
  4. Yes

If you're going to split, you better be damn sure you launch off the lights (once you check both directions for stopped traffic of course) - otherwise you're just slowing people down.
  5. +1 to all the above.
    Plus be aware of the fact there are cars out there more than capable of matching or bettering a CBR250 for acceleration. You don't want to be in front of one of those if it's being driven by someone trying to prove something. One clumsy gear shift and you could end up getting ploughed down by some bogan in a V8, or sideswiped when they go flying past you.
  6. On the other hand, he is talking about the inner suburbs, where no-one in a cage is going anywhere in a hurry. Took me almost an hour to do the kids' drop-off and get to work this morning - all of 4km. :?
    But yeah, don't get in the way, take silly risks etc. you'll make up the ground at the next lights anyway.
  7. :WStupid:

if you are concerned about riding your bike while cold wait for it to warm up, and don't move to the front just to hold other up, if you consider it dangerous to wait in line, wait till your bike warmed up before you leave, start up it while you are getting your gear on :)
  8. Still doesn't stop some drivers planting it at every green light - even if they do have to jump on the brakes almost as quick to avoid rear-ending the stationary traffic up ahead.
    Some people don't need to be in a hurry to drive like a knob.

Edit: Oh and thanks for reminding me why I don't live in the city, even in the busiest traffic still takes me no more than 15 minutes to drive the 15km to work :grin:. No way I could handle taking an hour to do 4km :shock:.
  9. 'specially when the average human walks at 4-6kph. :)

That's when you get off your bike and push it along the footpath on-foot instead. :LOL:

Edit: Offtopic for a bit... Hmm.. I wonder... *gets out calculator*
    If I put pedals on the side of my Tiger like those cheap electric moped Vespa-lookalikes I see people getting around on lately, my Tiger would only be 422 times too powerful to be considered a legal bicycle.

2nd Edit: Of course, I'd also have to be about 16 years younger to ride it legally on the footpath. :p :LOL:
  10. Sounds like a nice comfortable sedate pace.... for WALKING!!! :grin:
  11. To filter up in between cars and then take off at the same speed still sitting between lanes and between cars sounds dangerous. If you’re not prepared to accelerate quicker than them to get in front then you are putting yourself at risk at what you described.

They do not have to move over for you. If anything you have to make sure you do not get in their way
  12. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to expect the motorist to be responsible when the said bike rider isn't being so and breaking the law?

Also remember that if you must "filter" at the lights and pull in front of a vehicle at the head of the queue you generally have to cross that big white line to do so. If you do that you have just gone through a red light and can be booked for that as well. I actually saw it first hand the other day. The cops lights went on as soon as his front wheel crossed the white line.
  13. They do endear themselves :roll:
  14. What law am I breaking? Thats what I am here to find out... so far from the comments there is no suggestion that it is illegal to lane filter.

To my knowledge lane filtering is a defensive riding technique. I would rather be in front of traffic than behind it.
  15. When I'm in a car and I see a motorcyclist trying to filter, I ALWAYS make room for him / her to pass. To me, that's just common courtesy - and BTW, I did this before I ever rode a motorcycle myself.

When I'm filtering, I'm appreciative of others doing the same, but at the end of the day I'm just happy for the motorists to carry on their merry way - I will look out for them and find my own way around them.

Occassionally some d1ckhead intentionally closes the gap, but then there's always one ...
  16. Might I suggest the use of the "search" function.

Then put aside a few days to plough through the many voluminous threads on this subject.

Otherwise, take the advice of titus (and others) on this thread and proceed with due caution at all times.
  17. Couldn't agree more. If everyone just continues on as they were the world would be a happier place.
  18. Page 10 of the Victorian Riders handbook states it is illegal and also dangerous in moving traffic.

With reference to the "defensive technique" comment, what defensive move is require to avoid a stationary vehicle.
  19. Sorry if I or anyone gave you the impression (in other threads) that you can legally get away with this. There's two ways of looking at this:
    - yes it can be a defensive measure. But it can also get you into trouble if not done carefully or in the right circumstances. Most riders think it's alright because it suits us, that's all.
    - Everyone else doesn't like it, and the cops have got a selection of rules they can use on you if they choose to pull you over. Most often they will hit you with overtaking on the left, or failing to remain within your lane.

In the end, accept that you can't really argue against the cop if you get pulled. If you do it, you are taking a risk. That's the way it is. It's up to you.
  20. I believe 'lane filtering' is a term used to describe the situation where a motorcycle travels past stationary vehicles and not moving traffic. I think you are confusing 'lane filtering' with 'lane splitting'.

I did a search before and I did read a few pages. But I didn't get a definitive answer. There were some reports of people being pulled over and booked and others where cops have just given a lecture on how dangerous it is to travel past stationary vehicles...

I just wanted to know if there was a law against filtering. It is either legal or illegal... at least then I can rest assured that I am not breaking the law when filtering.