Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Inland route south from NW Sydney

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by charlie_bird, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Hi I'm planning a trip to the Snowies and south through the Victoria Alps. I normally take the coast roads down & back, but have always wanted to find a good alternate. I'm leaving from NW Sydney and would like to end up at Tumit or Khancoban or Albury / Wodonga. Looking for (mostly) sealed senic roads, don't care so much about time or distance ;)

2. Id you don't mind about 20 kays of dirt and gravel run down to wee jasper from yass. Road comes out at tumit
  3. And you could take this route to Yass

4. The run from Yass to Wee Jasper is sweet. The next 20 or so k's of dirt is a very poor dirt road :eek:hno: If you ride a faired sports bike, suggest this may not be the best way south for you. Rode to Tumut this way for the Snowy Ride in November and was surprised at the poor state of this "track", despite advice to the contrary. Pity really, it eventually turns into a wide well graded dirt road, then onto sweeping bitumen to Tumut. Was on my Diversion for this trip, and it handled the dirt OK. My mate on his near new Sprint GT was not happy. Depends on what bike you ride really. HTH.

5. Yeh, the second half is a decent dirt surface, but the first half is still the worst dirt road I think I have ever come across.

Or turn off at taralga and head through crookwell to gunning.
  6. Thanks very much for your responses. I think I'll give the wee Jasper road a shot. I traded my CBR600 off on a DL650 recently so gravel roads don't (aren't meant to.. ) scare me any more...
    Watching the weather intently to pick a departure day early next week :)