Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Inglis scandal 'a reflection of society'

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pringa8, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Melbourne Storm boss Brian Waldron says a long list of rugby league scandals mirror society, after the Storm's star five-eighth Greg Inglis was charged with assaulting his girlfriend.

The Test, Queensland and Storm star has been stood down indefinitely after the alleged attack on Sunday morning.

Inglis won the Wally Lewis Medal for best player in this year's State of Origin series and has also represented Australia on several occasions.

But now his glittering career is in doubt after he was charged with unlawful assault causing reckless injury to his girlfriend Sally Robinson.

The alleged incident is the latest in a string of negative publicity for the NRL over recent months.

Manly full-back Brett Stewart, who along with Inglis was the face of the game's 2009 advertising campaign, was charged with sexual assault on the eve of this season and is due to face court next month.

Cronulla sharks player Greg Bird is appealing a jail sentence for glassing his girlfriend in the face.

Former Test five-eighth Matthew Johns was stood down from his commentary role with Channel Nine because of a group sex scandal in New Zealand.

"All these things are regrettable," Mr Waldron told the ABC's AM program.

"Any time the game or the club is brought into the spotlight in a negative way, it's disappointing.

"What's important is the lessons you learn from it and how you deal with it and how professional you are in managing it.

"I think issues that take place in rugby league mirror society. I think issues that take place in any sport mirror society.

"That doesn't condone them, that's just a fact.

"We're certainly aware that we have an obligation as a club and as players and administrators to uphold the standards of society."

Brisbane Broncos coach Ivan Henjak admits the latest incident is another blow for the code.

It is whenever rugby league gets brought into the headlines in a negative way - and here we go again," he said.

But Mr Waldron said he is not worried that rugby league will become associated with the players' off-field dramas instead of the game itself.

"I think what happens off-field is, as I said, a reflection of society. It doesn't excuse it, and it doesn't condone it, but it's just a fact," he said.

"I think we need our players to learn lessons in life and young men do that.

"And we don't do anything but make it clear to everyone that we are vehemently opposed to any situation that endangers women."

I couldn't agree with this more. I think people get in an uproar about these boofheads because it's easier to point the finger at people held up by society as rolemodels (god knows why) rather than take a good hard look at ourselves and admit there's issues that run deeper than the footy field. What say you?
  2. Talk about insulting to society.

Its just like the DV ads showing the stereotypical big strong man and the stereotypical small attractive woman.

Society is addicted to stereotypes and the media shows us the stereotypes we love to see.

Get your reality from reality, not from the media.
  3. What is happening in league IS a reflection of what is happening in the wider society because league players are also members of that wider society.

What is wrong about it is that their behaviour is subject to much more public scrutiny and we can all sit back and tut tut about it and excuse what we know that we, and others we know, do.

How many blokes do YOU know who go out for a night on the grog with their mates and then go home and punch out the missus and excuse it as just a part of traditional Aussie culture?

Of course it's NOT, but that's is how it is excused.

Thye tragedy is that, regardless of what "programmes" are put in place, these things will continue to happen, inside sport AND outside it, because our society has abandoned totally the concept of personal responsibility.

I expect to hear shortly that Inglis is very sorry, but that, he is an aboriginal, he was abused as a child, he was suffering from depression, yad, yada, yada...all pathetic excuses to try and avoid taking responsibility for the fact that he can't control his booze and he can't control his temper.

It's time we expected people to stand up and take it on the chin for their stupidity and lack of care for others. I've had a gutful of listening to all the whining and buck-passing.
  4. Well said RC, taking responsibility for ones actions is fast becoming a thing of the past. Like the idiot diving head first into a sandbar, next to a sign saying no diving, then sues a council, and even more amazingly, he wins. Something's wrong, and it spills out when cases like Ingliss are highlighted.
  5. Well, Im glad we can agree that personal responsibility is the first line of responsibility.

While we are at it, how about the salary of these goons be reduced a bit. I dont think society condones their behaviour at all, society condemns it when theres a sex scandal, assult allegation etc etc

But why pay them so much for this lifestyle?

Its like getting a ferocious attack dog for the family pet, rewarding it for being ferocious, then complaining that it attacked you.

I bet if they didnt earn so much, they would instantly become much less attractive to partners.
  6. There's no doubt in my mind that handing these young kids huge salaries, huge sponsor-backed "perks" and huge media attention does no good whasoever to their perception of balance and responsibility.

I mean, think back to when you were 22. Would you have been mentally able to handle all that without going completely ape?
  7. If pay was a reflection of your 'worth' in society, then firefighter, cops and nurses would be paid sh!tloads more, but that's not how it works unfortunately.

The problem I see is that 'society' put these players on a pedestal, like they're supposed to be the beacons of moral good, helloooooo, boofhead footy players are not going to be the moral compass for your children, unless your Hazam El Mazri who seems to be the cleanest bloke in league. People are glassed, bashed, beaten, etc everyday, where's the moral outrage there? Why aren't restrictions imposed on us like they're imposed on footy players? I dont have my employer restricting my drinking habits outside of work? I think it's because if we feel we can control this lot, then it will somehow magically filter down to everyone else. But as the coach points out, it's just a reflection of what happens every day and these blokes are just a part of society, just like the rest of us. I mean you only have to go out to town on a saturday night to see the bullsh!t that happens all the time.
  8. I think their pay reflects what the spectators want to see, afterall footy matches are big business. People who watch the game want to see the players violent when theyre on the field and condemn them being violent outside the field.

Thats the extent to which I agree it "mirrors" society, but at most only a portion of society, and I hope most guys here would be offended at the prospect of having their lives compared to a footballer's as a standard.

Lets be honest, they are not on the forefront of the bell curve for moral values, they are tagging behind. Heavy contact sports like football are a throwback to when men were rewarded for the warrior instinct.
  9. I'm sick of the blaming alcohol excuse. I know a lot of people who are fond (probably even overly fond) of a drink. None of them go out and assault people or go home and beat up on the wives or girlfriends. (or Husbands or boyfriends either).

Mind you, most of them aren't over-paid with excessively inflated egos. That seems to be part of the problem.
  10. Well that' the thing though, it's only a portion of football players that actually behave like that, yet they're all lumped in the same group. Like I said, go out to town on a saturday night, and see how busy the cops are. There's more problems on the streets from everyday blokes than football players.

And yep, definitely a throw back to the warrior time. So why does the mother's club demand they start behaving like good little boys when they're paid to smack the cr@p out of people. Bring back the biff! It hasn't stopped fights anywhere else...

And blaming alcohol is bullsh!t on many fronts, like Tony said, people can drink fine without becoming violent. The alchohol defence is the biggest load of cr@p ever, remember Noah Nandruku getting off after having enough booze to kill a horse? Oh I'm sorry, so you get to drink yourself to a stuper, a decision you made, yet wont take responsibility for actions thereafter because the booze inhibited your decision making?
  11. I'd go so far as to say that is the problem. Young bloke, (some of these guys are barely as old as me!) Been playing all his life, only ever been told he was amazing. All his dreams are fulfilled when he is admitted to a state football team, resulting in a massive god complex. He has too much money thinks the rules do not apply to him, has no sense of reality and no real life experience. To top it off he is built like a brick shithouse.

Combine thoroughly with alcohol and whisk in a girl who might just want to exercise her right to say "no". Bake on 180c for 15 minutes and you have cooked up a very unfortunate situation.

I realise this is a huge stereotype. Not all sportsmen are like this. But I'm going to hedge a bet that the ones who get caught up in this kind of situation are.
  12. The time has come (or is well passed) for David Gallop to say one simple sentence. Here it is...

"Any player, in any grade, who, drunk or not, assaults a woman, is banned for life, and must not be signed by any other club OR CODE".

Once this behaviour starts costing some of these high-priced egos their livelihood and their future earning capacity, we might see some change.
  13. ^

the rev speaketh the truth.

enough excuses. zero tolerance policy!
  14. I think thats only going to be tackling the end problem, rather than getting to root of the problem.
  15. What, in your opinion, is the root of the problem? The clubs all have enough counselling services and education programmes in place to service the whole of society, not just a minor football code, but none of it seems to be working.

Ask yourself, if these boofheads didn't have heaps of money and free time, and fans of both genders fawning all over them, would they be behaving the same? Would Greg Inglis have punched out his 'girlfriend' if he'd been Greg the Builder from Heidelberg???
  16. Youre advocating taking their pay away once theyve already committed an offence. If you go back and read the thread I covered the problem.

The industry AND people around them reward their violent behaviour in one setting and condemn it in another setting. They act as theyve been taught to act.

The sport on the whole is a total relic IMO, but it sells so it still exists.

If they werent paid so much IN THE FIRST instance I bet they wouldnt have the same fans encouraging them and also the women theyre in relationships with.
  17. What I dont get with this whole situation is that she has had him charged with assualt knowing full well that it could ruin his whole career/life and yet she is standing by her man and not leaving him? WTF

What the hell am I missing?

I do not condone violence against women or in fact any person, but given the fact that this may have been the first occurrence, and if not, why is she still with him, but then we have the case of a stripper raping a bloke and getting off scot free.

This just doesn't make sense anymore.
  18. Money and status? Like I said I doubt these players would be as appealing to the opposite sex if they werent paid so much. I doubt she hangs around for the personality or intelligent conversation. Could be wrong, but probably not.
  19. Ask Shane Warne's missus or that Rhianna chick, they might be able to explain!!
  20. She may not have had him charged.
    Police can lay assult / domestic violence charges themselves.