Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Inexperienced Riders

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bass_player, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Last night I completed the basic Rider Safe course and got my L's. Pretty easy test really. Didn't even get any points. What suprised me though was the instructors passing other students who were very timid and lacked control of the bikes. These people now have a licence and can go out and buy a bike and get on the road around other traffic. I can now see why there are quite a few motorcycle deaths on our roads. I was fortunate enough to have previous experience on the road and this helped me a great deal. Im not saying I am a great rider, infact far from it, but that little bit of experience on a bike really helps when it comes to formal training. I just think that the Rider Safe course should maybe take a little longer to pass. Two, four hour sessions with about 60% of that time on a bike just isn't enough for alot of inexperienced riders to become comfortable with clutch control, counter steering, leaning, gear changes and braking. There were quite a few students who had very little to no experience on a bike and picked up these skills pretty quickly. Its the ones who don't pick these skills up that should have to either complete some other training or redo the Rider Safe course. If you are thinking about getting a bike licence and have not ridden before I reccommend finding some mates with old trail bikes and learning how to use the clutch, brakes and accellerator properly in a safe off-road environment.

2. The problem is, it's not a 'licence', it's a learner permit - it means you have the basic competencies to go out there and get more experience - not everyone can afford 120 hours of rider training.

It's interesting that in QLD, a learner permit can be obtained by sitting a knowledge test, no practical test, but the tradeoff is that you cannot ride around on your own on your l's, you need to accompanied by a licenced rider.
  3. It tends to be the overconfident ones who really come to grief in the learner period... Your "straight onto an RGV and let's party" guys. If people are tentative and less confident in their skills they're more likely to ride very conservatively.
  4. I bought my first bike, got my license the same day and rode 162 kms to work and back the next day on the New England Highway. Because there were no restrictions then, I was able to do 100 kph straight away, and I firmly believe I was a better rider for that.

Experience is a great teacher, but learning in the crowded and hostile environment of a city imposes risks that have to be considered.
  5. Yeah that test is easy as hey. I saw the same thing tho one of the people in our course had absolutely no idea, and he did the course on the 125 scooter. He done silly things like, when the instructor has everyone on the bikes in neutral and gets everyone to rev the engine to feel what its like he gives it a gut full on the scoot and takes off down the range... Yet he rode his scooter there so he should have known... On the figure 8 where they get about 6-8 bikes to do figure 8's through each other he was the only one who didn't have the confidence/balance/skill/god knows what else to simply slo down when the person is infront then gas it thru behind them... he kept stopping and putting his feet down, letting 2 bikes go infront before crossing the middle of the 8 etc. by the end of the drill we were no longer spaced out but all stuck behind him.. Yet he still got his L's...
  6. I have nothing against riders being tentative and less confident. Its the ones who cannot brake properly (especially emaergency braking), have no idea about gear changing and no clutch control that I worry about. These are the riders who may find it extremely difficult on the road and give up riding because of it.

As for the 'straight to an RGV and lets party' guys, South Australia now has LAMS so the RGV is off limits to restricted riders. I guess they'll have to go to a CBR or similar :D. Not me though. I'm going to stick to the GPX and get a cruiser once I'm unrestricted. I rode a Honda Shadow for the test. Such a comfortable bike and fun to ride (even if it is a little underpowered).
  7. Flash bastard. I bought my first bike, got my license the same day, rode home, went out that evening to show my mates the new bike, and fell off 10 mins later.
  8. So true, there was a guy at my learners who'd just bought himself an RGV and was convinced that he was the greatest rider in the world - even though he barely passed the test. Only hope it didn't take a serious accident for him to come to his senses.

9. Don't feel so bad, my uncle told me the same story but it happened on the way to show of the bike...

My old man tells me he doesn't want to ride anymore because it'll hurt too much, he reckons in his day the best riders fell off the most. :p
  10. Before LAMS came into effect and the RGV was available to restricted riders the instructors recommended not getting one. They said due to the power to weight ratio it was innapropriate for learners. Also you couldn't take the R-Date test because the turning circle is terrible and you couldn't do the figure 8 in the box
  11. Yeah we had a guy at my R-Date (P's) test who had a CBR250RR and he dropped one of the CB's. What was even funnier was when he fell off he grabbed a handfull of throttle and held it and the instructor had to bolt on over and hit the kill switch for him...
  12. But you could use their bike tho! That XT185 while crappy is pretty easy to ride slow...
  13. yeah they got the XT's, CB's, two Shadows and that scooter. We were offered the scooter but nobody took it
  14. Yup, plenty of disasters waiting to happen when I did my L's. One silly bugger kept stalling all the time and claimed it was the bike, switched his bike with mine when I wasn't looking (same type of bike at stay upright) but strangley enough as soon as he rode it my ex bike developed same problem while my new bike was miraculously fixed. Weird huh?
  15. Agreed. On my first ride I went from Keysborough to Bundoora, via the freeway. The next day I did Bundoora to Kinglake - Healesville - Blackspur - Eildon and back. The mate I was riding with started lanesplitting (which I was hesitant to do) but I ante'd up and followed and completely dispelled the fear. I realise it was jumping in at the deep end, but I'm glad I did it that way, I feel safe and confident on the bike now and I've only been riding 3 weeks. Personal experience tells me that when I do things with confidence I do well, and when I'm sh!tting myself I mess up, so at least for me, respecting the bike and the dangers but not being a pussy about it was the best thing to do.

16. Yeah my very first ride on the road was like that also. The GPX i have was a mates little brothers bike at the time so i went and test rode that for a few hours following my mate on his old mans Suzi (some olderish 1200 tourer)...

I had my work cut out for me that day trying to keep up wuith him and get used to riding at the same time but I survived and I think it gave me way more confidence than a couple of my other mates who all started riding at the same time...
  17. I was very nervous when I went for my pre learners test, having never ridden a bike or not even holding a car licence. I received quite a few warnings and was probably very close to being kicked off (I even nearly ended up in the class next to mine by accelerating way too heavy - very embarrassing). However, they let me pass, I got my Ls and bought a brand new VTR the following week and felt mighty damn proud of owning my own bike. I got a mate to ride it home for me as I knew I wasn't up to riding Sydney traffic and then spent the next few weeks riding the car parks within my building and the near by industrial estate. I slowly gained the confidence to control my own bike and learn how to handle it. 2 months into having my L's I'm riding the streets, highways and country side and loving it more and more with each ride. I've ridden with some experienced riders who have given me pointers and been very cool with my progress.

So, yes, those who barely pass can get out there and ride in traffic but it doesn't mean we're going to straight away. I'm taking the time to actually learn how to ride - which is the point of being a "learner". I had a fun ride from Sydney to the Gong on the weekend and am busting to do more like it. It was a cool feeling to turn up at Stanwell Tops and to feel like I was actually part of a group of riders, even on my 250 with the big yellow L.
  18. Actually probably the most worrying thing is that when I went for my full licence I was the only one there that had actually ridden a bike on the road. Half had at least been riding dirtbikes but the others had never ridden since getting their L's yet still passed (just).

19. Wise man your uncle. Of course by his logic I should be trying out for Rossi's job. :D
  20. There needs to be some sort of "error trap" to deal with this stupid idea of getting L plates and throwing them in the drawer....