Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Inevitable we all crash and break bones

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Tomcatalex, Jun 25, 2008.

1. is it really Inevitable we all crash and break our bones, even the best riders have!

I havnt, and dont want too, been riding for 2 years, had close calls, not my fault, other vehicles, i had to correct them. Anyway never crashed, but love riding, what do I do??? (wait for it to happen or give up riding) both would hurt

p.s off the topic I use my clutch to go over speed humps :!: , nobody told me to but find it easier going anyone else do this :?:

2. Good question. My personal hypothesis is that if you start riding in your teens (as I did) you are sure to crash; if however you start riding in, say, your forties as a lot of people are doing now, I reckon your crash risk is slashed.

Yep, just on the approach side. I let it out again fairly quick.
  3. Depends what you mean by crashing. Involving another vehicle or not.

For crashes with other vehicles there are 3 risk levels as I see it.

Occasional rider.
    Rides every couple of weekends. Roadcraft skills are pretty low, but due to the infrequency of riding, being involved in a crash is less likely.

Frequent rider
    Rides every weekend or a few times a week. Roadcraft skills are adequate. Probably should have the lowest risk of crashing due to good skills and not riding daily.

Daily rider
    Rides everyday. Roadcraft skills are very good. Possibility of crashing is more likely than the frequent rider due to being on the road everyday.

I've heard about most motorbike accidents happening on corners with no other vehicles present. Most of these are due to entering the corner too fast. Target fixation, sand, oil etc all are contributing factors, but speed is the reason why people usually cant react in time.

Ride with 5 seconds of vision is commonly said. The problem is, in some places like the nasho, that would mean putting through the fun bits under the speed limit.
  4. Nup, just ride between them and the kerb :).
  5. i stand up on the pegs and accelerate up the face....1 foot of air really feels like alot more
  6. Personally, I plan to live forever. And so far I've been successful.

I don't buy into the "not a matter of if, but when" thing. Bad stuff happens to the very best of us, but it's not inevitable. It's not certain, definite, guaranteed or even our Destiny to crash.

To say "not if, when" is to roll over in submission, shrug your shoulders and go "Oh well, if it's inevitable then why should I even try?"

No, I think it's better to do everything in your power to beat the odds.

But have you really never been at fault in a near miss? I can count on one hand the number of times that there was absolutely nothing I could have done differently to help avoid the near-miss from occuring. Every other near-miss, I was passing through a blindspot, or had bad lane positioning, or... :-k

Every near-miss is an opportunity to improve your roadcraft for next time; a lesson to be learned.
  7. We crash in cars to, so would that mean you'd give up driving?...then you would be walking, but pedestrians get hit, so would you then give up walking?
    All we can do is practice our roadcraft, gain experience, and keep our wits about us, in order to minimize the dangers...It's no golden talisman, but at least we might be able to reduce the number accidents and broken bikes and bones.

SOme riders have enjoyed extended (even long) periods of accident free riding, but IMHO, the percentages are against us enough to not expect to have an accident sooner or later.

If the speed bump is severe enough, I will use my clutch to slow the bike down enough to reduce the impact...no biggie.

8. go speak to movin, commutes everyday (i think), rides on weekends, at a decent enough pace and i believe he is up near 17 yrs or something.....ride within your limits (whether in traffic or weekend fun times) and i reckon most could extend there time between offs... except dirtbike riders they just seem to think if you haven't fallen off you aren't trying hard enough :LOL:
  9. An old and wise rider once told me that every motorcyclist can expect to hit tarmac (his words Joel 'cos it was in his day :wink: ) hard at least once.

I'm up to three so far, but none for 15 years :grin: . However, I walked (or at least wobbled, somewhat concussed) away from all of them with a few bruises, in spite of protective clothing that would, these days on this forum, be considered suicidally inadequate (old, unarmoured leather jacket, jeans and German army boots). So getting seriously hurt isn't inevitable, evenm if you do come off.

I don't think it's defeatist to work on the assumption that, one day, it will all go pear shaped. That's the motivation to suit up for every ride.

However, that shouldn't discourage improving your defensive riding and general roadcraft skills to the max, to minimise the likelihood of a stack.
  10. There is only one thing in life that is inevitable, that's death! All the rest until that time is in your control.
  11. Don't get me wrong - I don't think it's wrong for a rider to use it as an assumption and base their behaviour off of that. It's wise to assume that chances are, things won't go to plan.

But I can't stand when people tell me "it's not if, but when". One day, you will crash. Absolutely guaranteed positively certain. Definite. Fate. Destiny. To me that's on the same level of insult as being called a temporary Australian or an organ delivery vehicle or Stratocat being referred to as a donor-cycle. You ride a motorcycle, you will die because of it.

It's negative, destructive language. It suggests that no matter how hard you try to work on your roadcraft, no matter how you ride, no matter how careful you are, it's all meaningless and that you might as well throw roadcraft out the window and live up to their stereotype-driven expectations that you'll only be around for another day or two.

It's not a certainty that I will crash. Probable, sure! Very likely in fact! But the only absolute certainties in this world are Death and Taxes.
  12. Spots would you qualify your thoughts at all with respect to teenage vs middle age riders, notwithstanding the latest "Wild Hog" phenomenon? Or do you reckon even teenies can get away without accident. I'm not talking about bone breaking...just an off that's more than dropping it off the sidestand.
  13. Yes, you're gonna crash. But it's not that bad.

The more you ride, the less likely you are to crash is what the stats seem to suggest. Weekend and returning riders crash the most. So stay on the horse and keep learning and your chances will improve.
  14. why is it cheaper to insure when you sellect weekend rider rather than daily rider
  15. Is it likely that you will hit the road? Yes.
    Is it inevitable? Absolutely not.

Of the three guys I most frequently ride with these days, all have more than ten years experience, and none have ever been injured riding.

It's about playing the odds. If pushing the limits is important to you, then it is MUCH more likely to happen. But then again, pushing the limits is what it's all about for some people, and that's their choice. Being sloppy and taking silly risks because you are being lazy is another way to shorten the odds on yourself.

Keeping yourself intact on a bike is all about planning and practising two things: survival reactions and good decision making. With survival reactions you've got to train to make the correct bodily move in any given situation, and rehearse it mentally and physically in a regular basis. With decision making, you also have to rehearse mentally what you will do in a given circumstance (example: will I follow my mate in an overtake around a blind corner?) You should know the answer LONG before the circumstance arises. Then when it happens, there is no doubt and indecision, you just automatically do the right thing.
    Doing the training and rehearsing is what I mean by not being lazy.

I agree that shit can happen to anyone, anywhere. I just think you can massively improve the odds by preparing well, and convincing yourself that you CAN overcome any situation. EVERY crash is avoidable, in some way (even if some are very, very difficult). It's all about your approach to it, rather than the statistical facts.
    ( I still have insurance, though, don't I. :wink: )
  16. I am of the school of thought that if you don't crash you are not trying hard enough. A little bit of pain ain't so bad, but dieing is a rubbish idea, so choose your moments.

Yes I think it is pretty close to an inevitable event for any rider.
  17. got my L's at 35
    got my full licence at 36 (a full 12 months later)
    have been commuting daily along the Monash freeway for over 2 years

2 offs - 1 the cage driver fault, 1 my fault
    both write-offs
    luckily got up and walked away from both with bruises at worst

The scariest thing for me when it comes to contemplating the consequences is the damage to the bike. For some reason, the prospect of injuring myself (or even death) doesn't enter my mind. How far out of wack are my priorities?!!!!
  18. [​IMG]

your still in one piece as far as i can see
  19. I went 21yrs and then fell on my arse...
  20. I've seen people with broken bones get up, run back to their bike, pick it up and push it off the road before collapsing and spending weeks in hospital.

It's amazing what adrenalin and the "gotta look after the bike" reaction can do :shock: .