Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Indonesian holiday road toll

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by E2W, Aug 23, 2012.

1. The safetycrats here would be having a conniption.
  2. "More than 600 Indonesians have been killed in the country's worst holiday road toll in years."

Let's have a look at this rationally.....
    In 2003 fifty Australians were killed on our roads during our Christmas period.
    Seeing how Indonesia's population is 242 million and ours is 24 million we're not too far behind. Indonesia's population is ten times the size of ours so I just multiplied our road toll by ten to get a rough figure.

We're not that far behind.

You also have to take into account that Idonesia has very poor roads, no driver training and very poor road rule attention.
  3. When I went to visit family over there last Christmas Holidays, I wasn't even game to ride the scooter around. The traffic since the last time I visited has increased ten-fold.I was 20 then, and was getting ridden around by my 14 year old cousin on his 120cc honda...
  4. You also have to take in to consideration that the km's driven by Indonesians would be far less than Australians.

Deaths per capita in Indonesia would be slightly higher,

Deaths per km travelled would be a hell of a lot higher than Aussies.

But its pretty well to be expected, I wouldn't use Indonesia as a basis for comparison to our own success.
  5. Actually I was using Indonesia as a basis for our non success.
  6. I well remember my Bandung days, holiday season, and the frequent head-ons between vans coming and going to the rural villages. Good time to keep off the bike or the car and stay on the big bus! I rember being taught the two Indonesian road rules:

1. There are no rules
    2. Biggest vehicle wins

But what a great country!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I don't know if you're right or wrong, but what do you base that statement on?
  8. I've seen it stated more than a few times that in Victoria at least, there's no statistically significant increase in road deaths in any holiday period compared to "normal" times. The emotion attached is hightened.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Since we're working in assumptions, I'd assume that they spend more time travelling shorter distances, so you'd need to start breaking the figures down as to whether distance or time on the road is the better measure.

I might also assume that conditions, standards and enforcement actually have less effect on final outcomes than I've been expected to believe.
  10. everyone rides a bike and they use the bikes for everything. Often 2, 3, 4 or even five up.
  11. Sorry, that last comment was meant for the OP.
  12. That far fewer Indonesians would own a vehicle. But yes I'm assuming wildly.
  13. In a comparison, what about factoring in the condition of the vehicles being driven.
  14. You're right. From what I've seen a lot of the bikes are in so-so condition. Bald tyres seem to be incredibly common. As is wearing open-faced cheapo helmets, 0r no helmet at all
  15. Personally, I've never been convinced by the "Australians drive greater distances than [insert other nationality here]" argument. My annual kilometerage of vehicle use is about the same as it used to be (or was when I could afford it) when I lived in a much smaller country and at work I'm considered slightly eccentric for doing the length of commute which I do, putting me at the upper end of annual usage.

Without seeing some proper figures for VKTs for Australia vs the comparison country, in this case Indo, I'd be reluctant to take it on faith.
  16. I was basing that off the number of people with motor vehicles, hence far less kms driven per person on average. It was an assumption but this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate pretty well confirms the assumptions I made. Although it does not have indonesian deaths per kilometer it does show the deaths per motor vehicle is 28x higher than Australia while death per inhabitant is only 3X greater. Unless on average Indonesians drive 10 times as far as Australians then the deaths per km will be much higher. If that makes sence, I think it does in my head.
  17. higher population density, smaller roads, higher use of motorcycles/scooters, more frequent motorcycle/scooter use, lower vehicle safety requirements and protective requirements.......................

Imagine replacing Indonesian drivers and riders with your typical Australians, id think that the road toll would sky rocket even more..................from what ive seen, it seems that Indonesian riders and drivers seem to be more aware of vehicles around them compared to clueless Australians (especially drivers).
  18. Yep - they also give way pragmatically rather than because they think they are in the right.