Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Indicator flash rate

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mario Mendoza, Sep 14, 2011.

1. G'day All,

Just a quick question to those electrically minded folk out there. (one of which I clearly am not!)

I've just fitted up some aftermarket indicators to a 2005 ZX6R and they're flashing fast.
    The thing is, they're not LED, but they are much smaller than the standard units.

They aren't flashing super fast, but they are definitely faster than they were before and it's bug'n me to no end as it feels like the job isn't finished.

Any ideas? Do smaller globes cause the system to do this? Everything works a-ok, it's just the speed... Thanks.
  2. The lower power drawn by the LED bulbs causes this. You can add extra resistance across the LED fitting or more easily if it is a worry replace the flasher can with one that is designed for LED blinkers
  3. the problem is the bulbs aren't "using" as much power as the old ones. easy fix. go buy some higher watt bulbs
  4. +1 to Forgotten, I had a brain fade there I read your OP as you had LED blinkers. The fitting may not support bigger bulbs so if that's the case add a resistor on each side.
  5. Yes the faster flashing is supposed to tell you a globe is blown, (or lower current drawn for another reason) but, seems that knowledge has not passed down generation to generation going by the number of cars getting around with an indicator out and fast flashing. There is a limit for the flash rate in an ADR by the way, something like 60-90 flashes per minute from memory.
  6. Resistance is futile.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Go talk to an auto electrician, and buy a NON load dependant electronic flasher relay. If you pay more than 20 bucks, it's too much. All your troubles will be solved. As grue said, resistance is futile.
  8. Resistance = V2/Power (so if you have 24W globe)
    6ohms = (12x12)/24
    12v / 6 = 2A

Current for new bulb (say you now have a 20W globe)
    7.2ohms = (12x12)/20
    12v/7.2 = 1.66A

You need to make the 7.2 ohms = 6 ohms
    1/Rtot = 1/r1 + 1/r2...
    But just use this website..http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

so Total resistance = 6 ohms, R1 = 7.2 ohms Website says you need a 36 ohm resistor in parallel.

P = V X I
    13.6V <The highest the voltage will get x (12/36) < This is to find current through your resistor = 4.5W. so you will need a 5W resistor. Not imperative, since the resistor will be switched on and off, so it shouldn't be a problem, but it costs a few cents extra for the proper resistor..

Just replace the values you use for the ones I have used here, and you will have the right answers

Or save yourself time and spend $20 on a new flasher. Which is much easier, quicker and neater.

Only if R < 1 ohm
  9. Thank you!

Sounds like just the trick.

So it would be the fact that the new indicators are smaller that is causing them to blink fast? Ie, I haven't effed anything up?

Would I need only one new flasher unit or relay? Are they simple enough to wire/plug in?

Thanks again!
  10. Unles you've shorted something which is pretty hard considering there are only 2 wires, the worst you can do is blow a fuse. As for the relays, my old mans bike was a straight plug in type like the square one I linked. Some may be different, but nothing a couple of connectors can't fix, the terminals are essentially all the same, it's just a matter of matching them to your existing one.

If you're still not sure as per the eBay stuff, go into a bike store, let them tell you what relay you need & then just google it & see where you can find it. (unless of course the LBS is cheaper than the net - I doubt it!)

11. I have the same problem but left them how they are, I think they are actually more noticeable now they flash faster and brighter.
  12. If they are not led, then DONT by a non load dependent flasher. Buy the correct wattage bulbs. That way you can still tell if a bulb blows..
  13. Thanks for all the input folks.

After some further investigation, I went ahead and splashed out the $11 on a Tridon HD12 flasher relay and the blink rate has returned to normal.

It was a simple "P&P" install and hopefully now puts my flasher woes to rest.