Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[India] India is embarking on the path to "big stick" road rules

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, Feb 20, 2012.

1. By all accounts, India's roads are the wild west, but just watch the road safety system wind up and develop momentum with a big stick approach. I stumbled onto the article below... Clearly punitive measures feel right when someone loses a life for no good reason. They're too easy an approach. It's interesting to watch the beginning of India's road safetycrat giant of the future begin to grow.

The financial figures a staggering, 3% of GDP lost in road trauma.... holy shit. We had a major political shit fight in Australia just because the guvment borrowed in the order of 3% of GDP to help ride out the GFC... imagine if your society had an intrinsic cost of 3% of GDP?!

Anyway, the article is a quick read.

= = = = = = = =

2. Excuse the late reply, but it's taken me a couple of days to stop laughing enough to type.

Impose order on Indian roads? Please...

It's interesting that they have chosen drunk driving as the core of their campaign. While I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I know some Indians drink in their homes, on several visits I've never once encountered a single alcohol-affected local in public or on the roads.
  3. #3 tiggers, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I spent 6 months riding a 250 enfield round india, once you get to grips with it its not to bad.
  4. I saw TopGear last night... holy frack, if the roads are only half as bad as the edited footage suggests, it's still a basket case.
  5. Haha, I watched topgear with my boys last night too..
    When he said they were going to start on the most dangeous roads being divided two lane eachway roads, I thought... What?? How can that be more dangerous??

Then I realised locals haven't figured out that divided roads means one side goes one way and the other side goes the other way.....](*,)](*,)](*,)

Trucks with punctured just stopp in middle of road to change tyres rather than pulling over to one side with no street lighting cars just stopping in the middle to let someone out..

Granted there's a billion people there but to put in perspective more die there every year than it would take to fill the MCG FFS..

Calling it a basket case is almost being too kind..
  6. #6 tiggers, Feb 22, 2012
    But the strange the thing is that for the best part it works. Took me a while to work out that the horn is used as an indicator. you honk when your passing.

In six months i had one close call. One large bus with about 20 people on top, narrow road, driver decided to over take me on a blind corner.
  7. #7 robsalvv, Feb 22, 2012
    150,000 fatals and 3million injuries across the entire transport system predicted this year. 70% of fatals involve alcohol! http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,6664122,00.html

Just crunched some numbers, and on a percapita basis, India has double the fatality and injury rate of Australia... probably not that bad considering it's seriously populated and is a wild wild west of regulation.

8. I'll never forget riding up to my first roundabout in Cambodia.
    I quickly ran through my head that riding on the right means I'd need to enter over there and go round like.... Wait a minute. Apparently appropriate behaviour in Cambodia is to go around the roundabout in whichever direction gets you to your exit the fastest :-s

Was interesting to say the least
  9. According to TAC doesn't that just mean they're averaging 5km/h faster than us?
  10. #10 tiggers, Feb 22, 2012
    I'm surprised its not more given the state for the transport infrastructure. While i was there in 99 a brand new bridge collasped 2 days after opened.

Not sure how much its advanced in 12 years.

Was a common to see women with wicker baskets full of tar trying fix huge pot holes while the traffic swerved round them.
  11. after watching top gear last night... i would never want to ride or drive on their roads...
  12. This all falls under the 'Decade of Action' stuff...

...I haven't bothered to dig through it for info because you literally get swamped when you start digging. The idea is the UN are looking at the roadtoll from a global perspective and see the biggest inroads (pun not intended) in the developing countries.
    If they're over populated now, imagine a zero roadtoll.

Crazy fukkers.
  13. SNAP!! :rofl:
  14. This photograph is from Nepal. The number plate tells us it is registered to the capital destrict and fairly new. Unfortunately a common sight in those parts!
  15. Horrible pic to see anyday :(
    But it doesn't seem to suggest front number plates do much as far as safety..

16. They have a lot of funny ideas over there about road rules and safety. Yeah front number plates are a must and so are crash bars. The plates do bugger all but the crash bars have actually saved my legs a few times.

All mods are illegal (not that this has stopped anyone), road side breath analysis is a traffic cop smelling your breath, probably a grand total of 5 speed limit signs in the whole country and traffic lights are for decorating the roadside. You can negotiate your way out of tickets and fines by quietly slipping the cops a few bucks or if your offence is serious a phone call from senior ranking government officials will get your impounded bike home delivered! But the mountain roads are the best for riding and the locals are the kindest you will every see!! Not to mention it is a beautiful country (once you get out of the capital city).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Riding up near Leh, the funniest was the safety roadsigns. Things like "after whiskey, driving risky". Then you would see a truck that had rolled off about 500m below you and you dont need a sign.

This is on Khardung La,

And the typical roads in the mountain
  18. I dont like tailgaters, He got him in reverse, That truck was going backwards,