Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

INcreasing performance of a bike engine

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by nodz, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Further to my previous post about buying a bike and stripping it down to restore, I was wanting to reassemble it but with more racier specifications than it originally had.
    I was wondering what it meant when 'mild cams' were installed.

What would be a good place to start in terms of upgrading the engine of a bike

2. nodz, you are opening a pretty major subject with that question. The first question is, what bike do you want to modify, secondly, where are you going to ride it, third, how good a rider are you. These are all major points that need answers before a suitable performance mod can be suggested.

There are different explanations for "mild cams", generally it means that the cams could hold the valves open slighty longer or further. A slight increase in opening duration will take away power from low rpm and put it back at higher rpm.

Generally cams work on a 'rob peter to pay paul' principle; taking power from low rpm and shifting it up high. It takes a good rider to get the best out of an engine with minimal low rpm power.

You are welcome to PM or email me and I can offer further advice if you like.

3. Nodz,

Older bikes generally had poor exhaust systems. These days you can generally get one that flows pretty well without making an onscene amount of noise.

Rejet the carbies to suite and you will have a moderate performer.

Any advice after that would be modle specific.

I do warn, however, against anything radicle. My last bike had a hot cam, with standard size carbies and it was never right. As soon as you put a cam in you need to look at the carbies, the exhaust, the ignition, the plugs, etc.

Even then it may run hot and idle at some rediculas speed. You might then have clutch troubles, gearbox failures, etc.

If you do manage to get the engine right it will probably then highlight chassis deficiencies.

My advice is go for small steps. This will generally highlight another area that needs attention, then fix/modify that, then move on.

Good luck. I hope you have deep pockets too.

Let us know what you get and keep us informed. It will be interesting