Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Incorrect chain length

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by philmydang, Oct 22, 2010.

1. I just realised after installing my new chain, that is it 1 link longer than the original. What sort of problems will this cause?

2. none as long as you have the correct tension on it as it stretches you will probably run out of adjustment then you will have to take alink out

3. wear can be significantly increased depending on the frequency that a link collides with the teeth.
    obviously you cant take one link out of the chain, you have to take two out.

i have heard stories of people taking a link out of a chain towards the end of the chains life, the result being the complete stripping of the sprocket in a matter of ~100kms due to the new format of collisions.

for a new chain i dont think you will notice the difference in wear.

below is a method for determining if changing the number of teeth on sprockets (or number of links in a chain) will change the life of the chain and sprockets.

sauce: http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/SprocketsOtherSizesFAQ.htm

4. his new chain is 1 link longer than the old 1 probably best to fit new sprockets aswell

5. Wot gregb said.

On the subject of taking a link out, it used to be standard practice for us poverty stricken oiks, back in the days of pre-oring jobs. By the time it was necessary to take a link out (actually two rollers and two pairs of sideplates), the chain was generally on its last legs anyway. I never saw the sort of rapid destruction that Netterhead mentions and would generally get maybe another 1000 miles before replacement was unavoidable. Front sprockets would generally last a couple of chains, rears seemed to last almost indefinitely.

I only stopped taking links out when I put a sidecar on my GSX550. The extra load would cause the chain to shed its rollers at about the same time that it reached the end of its adjustment, leaving no scope to extend its useful life.

These were old fashioned chains and the cheapest that I could obtain, mind. I can see problems arising with o-ring chains worn to the same extent. I suspect that, with so much slop, the o-rings would cease to seal and the chain rollers would be left to run dry, without the monthly LinkLyfe baths that my old cheapies used to enjoy.

6. Now your showing your age, :cheeky:

I lost count of how many times I got to hear " Robert how many times do I have to tell you NOT to heat up your bike chain oil bath on MY stove !! "
    :nopity: :blah: :bolt:

7. Re chain length, its not if its when you will run out of adjustment so given its likely to need shortening to spec might as well get another joining link and shorten the thing now.

On sprockets, if they are past service life (or are likely to well before typical chain life), should have been done with the chain. I get 85,000Km + from a chain (VFR 800 fitted with ScottOiler and mid range DID chain) and use two front and one rear (OEM) sprockets in that time.

8. MrsB didn't used to mind too much 'cos I'd be doing her chains too. I got fairly seriously in the s*&t when I hung a chain on the washing line to drain, one windy day, and strings of waxy grease were blown onto the washing, though :oops:.