Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Income

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Apr 11, 2008.

?
  1. 0-$20,000

100.0%
  2. $20,000-$40,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $40,000-$60,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $60,000-$80,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. $80,000-$100,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. $100,000-$120,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The claim was made that 4WD drivers on average have higher incomes, more education and higher IQs than riders.

I know they're not completely disjoint sets - there are several esteemed Netriders who drive vehicles with four wheels all driven... but just for fun I thought we'd check out the stereotype.

My guess is that the average 4WD driving person has at least - and probably also at most - a bachelor's degree. Maybe a few have MBAs.

Wish I could do 3 different polls in one thread, as is possible on some forums, but I can't see a way to do it here.

Of course, some people feel this kind of information is private and prefer not to vote on the poll (even anonymously) fair enough.

And I also do realise that none of these things makes one a better person - there are fantastic, smart, talented, caring people with little education and low incomes, and even with low IQs...

2. Oops, meant to have a '>$120,000' category but the post thingy is not that intuitive... Rock head must be up in that band judging by his list of bikes.

3. Of course they do. A 4WD on average costs more.

There are many young riders out there able to grap a bike for $3-4K. This will bring the average income of riders down.

4. My income is my business!

5. Absolutely - as I stipulated in the original post.

Mind you, the voting is completely anonymous, so no-one can link it to you at all: you can vote and it's *still* your business.

But you don't have to.

(I personally don't understand this sensitivity, just know some people seem to have it.)

6. Another poll?
    C'mon mate, it stands to reason that people spending $ 50,000 plus on a 4WD aren't exactly poor. If you really wanted a fair understanding of middle incomes then your scales should be more like:

under 30,000
    30,000 - 60,000
    60,000 - 100,000
    100,00 - 200,000
    200,000 - 400,000
    above 400,000

No, I'm not joking mate.

PS. I also don't understand the secrecy ... with half a brain you can guess what people earn within 10%.

7. Bloody construction workers getting good pay...

8. is this single income? or household income?
    even single income i max it out :p :p :p
    not bad for an IQ of 64 eh?

9. They might be, with finance almost anyone can buy a 50k 4wd. Whether or not they still own it after 12 months is a different matter....
    (Then there's also those still living with their parents rent-free).

10. No, you're completely wrong (surprise surprise).

As a matter of fact, if you own a 4WD, you are not only more stupid, you're fat, ugly, and more likely to kill an innocent. And that is being kind.

Proof is in the pudding, as they say. Anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together would naturally agree.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...servative-study/2005/09/26/1127586794495.html

Not that it'd be a surprise to anyone with a working sex organ greater than 2 inches, the summary is:
    Can you tell that I'm biased against those that drive 4wd's? Not that there's anything technically wrong with a "licensed" driver, driving a small truck to the supermarket, chewing up the urban roads designed for vehicles that weigh half as much whilst taking advantage of the primary producer tax break that allows the rest of us to foot the cost of it.

Pure and simple, if you own a 4wd, you should be paying at least three times as much rego. Or fund your own goddamn offroads to offroad on.

11. Generally agree with the rant, just wanted to point out that it wasn't me who made the original claim, so it's not me who you think is completely wrong. ;)

12. Gavinl I find your signature very appropriate.

The problem with jealousy is that everyone can see it :roll:

13. And yes, I screwed up by stopping the scale way too low: if the kind mod who fixed the IQ poll felt like added a few more levels to this one...

14. Jealous of what exactly?

I guess you own a 4wd, and therefore replied before the screen reader finished reading out my entire post to you? :roll:

15. You're soooo full of shit Joel :LOL:

16. I really wish that people would not generalise so much, the term "4WD" has attracted a bad rep thanks to the press yet everyone fails to acknowledge that there are many different types of 4WD vehicle!

Are people that drive Subura's, Porsche 911's, Lancer Evo's, etc., all more likely to kill someone because all four wheels are driven??

I drive a 4WD and I ride a bike.

My car is a Nissan X-Trail, it weighs no more than a standard sedan, is smaller than a Commodore and has a 2.5ltr 4 cyl engine which will do 9ltrs/100km. It also has a extremely good passenger and pedestrian safety rating. I have taken it off-road too although it does spend most time on the bitumen.

My bike is also capable of going offroad, does that make me a menace on the road as well??

I work in IT and have a comfortable income, never went to Uni, I am certainly not fat and consider myself to be quite intelligent. Damn, I have to sell my 4WD as I don't fit the demographic according to gavinl who is obviously an expert.

Now, I do agree that LARGE 4WDs like the Patrol, Prado, etc., are inappropriate for city driving and it is really a shame that people don't use them for what they are designed.

So, please, please, please, don't lump all 4WD vehicles in the same bucket, that only shows as much ignorance and lack of IQ as the people that buy a LARGE 4WD just to take the kids to school.

Can you tell I am a little worked up??!

Adam

17. Ah yes, yet another egotistical arrogant pompous twat who thinks that anyone with an opinion different to theirs deserves to be burnt at the stake. :roll: I'm pretty sure Bravus didn't deserve that kind of flaying. There's a way to get your message across. That wasn't it.

FTR though, I hate 4wd's.

18. It's fun taking quotes out of context. That wasn't a nice thing to say about Bravus. Shame on you.

19. Sorry, cut the wrong bit out. Meant to say

20. Rybky, do you not see that you're just like those that you're criticizing?

"dont knock 4WDrives .... well not mine ... it's those other ones, those different to mine that are the bad ones..."

Mate there is nothing wrong with the larger ones. What's wrong with the large 4WD - used to take the kids to school? They have plenty of room for it. So what that they're not taken off road; does every sport car go to the track? Is every 4 seater driven with 4 people?