Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Incidents in my first Weekend of Riding (Longish)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nodz, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Started riding on Friday night and already feel like I've been put through the wringer. Some people should definitely not be allowed to drive.

IDIOT #1 - I was doing 68kmph in 70kmph zone, I had a guy do about 90kmph right up behind me and tailgate me. I started to slow and took the next available left turn, he carried on straight.

IDIOT #2 - Turning right round a roundabout. Travelling in second about 20kmph (firly tight, small roundabout), car fails to give way to right, straight through roundabout, I slow to next to nothing and have this amazed look on my face of 'Did he/she really do what I thought he/she did?'

IDIOT #3 - Travelling at about 30Kmph in third, about twenty metres away and a car reverses from driveway without even looking. what's worse she crossed my lane of traffic and into the other lane to eventaully go in the opposite direction to me. I wasn't travelling fast and so was able to stop easily, but the car in the other direction had to brake very, very heavily.

IDIOT #4 - Travelling back from the bank at 1100am Saturday morning. I'm turning right across two lanes of traffic. I'm in middle of intersection, cars start lowing as light turns orange, truck not watching cars in front, makes a hurried exit to the left which is the road I'm turning right into from the opposite direction. Truck skidding to a halt, I put on a little squirt to avoid getting hit.

IDIOT #5 - Travelling along, just turned left from an intersection after having had to stop, in first about to change up gear, car reverses out of driveway, able to emergency stop.

IDIOT #6 - I'm stopped at an intersection at 6:00am on Sunday morning, waiting for lights to turn green. Riced up WRX behind me, bass thumping, P plate sporting, w*nker screeches to a halt behind me. I was getting ready to run the red. The light goes green I leisurely take-off he takes of all wheels screeching gets within a metre from my back wheel then passes me giving me about 50cm room as the two lanes narrow to one. don't kown why he didn't pull up beside me and accelerate way ahead of me as the lights turned green rather than pulling up behind me.

2. seems like a normal day for some, what was the problem anyway :)

3. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. You will now begin to see much of the world from a whole new perspective.

Idiot #1: you *were* wearing an L plate after all.... I've heard that driving behind an L plater can make your dick fall off.

Idiot #2: Give way to the right? Not required. A vehicle entering a roundabout has to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout. If they get there first, they don't have to give way. "Give way" doesn't mean step back and bow courteously. If you didn't have to take evasive action to avoid an impact, they didn't need to give way. If you had to slow down to avoid danger, than the other driver was at fault legally, and you should have forseen it.

Rule 3 of motorcycling. Don't *ever* assume someone will give way.

Idiot #3: Not uncommon. Be afraid. Be very afaraid.

Idiot #4: If there is no slip lane (separate little bit of roadway for the left turning truck) then he has right of way[1] over oncoming right-turning traffic (you), even if he is running an orange (or red) light. If there was a slip lane (and a "give way when turning left" sign), then he was in the wrong, and you should have seen him coming and been prepared for it.

Idiot #5: see #3. Beware of drivers who *might* have checked that the road was clear just before you entered it. (like 20 seconds ago)

Idiot #6: "don't know why he didn't pull up beside me and accelerate way ahead of me as the lights turned green rather than pulling up behind me"

Well, he *was* a P-plater in a riced up WRX!

He probably doesn't have the imagination to find other ways of having fun.
    (You can bet he wasn't out at 6 am on a Sunday because he got up early to go to church.)

Yep, there are lots of hazards out there. As far as I can see, all you can hope to do is be aware of them, and maybe predict most of them before they happen. After a while, the mechanicals of riding become subconscious, and you will have more 'brain time' to spend scanning for hazards.

Idiot #1 will become a little less common when you get off L plates. You did the right thing.

When you have a little more riding time, you will be able to scan further ahead, and monitor drivers like #2 and #4 so that you have plenty of warning.

Monitoring for #3 and #5 takes a little more experience. You need to be aware and to be ready to stop or swerve. With experience, you will see the car in the driveway, notice the puff of vapour from the exhaust (or the driver in the front seat) and automatically double check your escape routes, see what's behind in case an emergency stop is called for, and cover the brakes just in case.

#6 passing at the last minute where the lanes join is a variation on #1 and so fairly predictable. He knew if he didn't get past his dick would fall off (and he wouldn't be able to find it in the carpet).

There will come a day when you find you can predict a car's behaviour by little things (like that very small deviation a car makes just before it changes lanes without indicating or looking). Use it. Don't ever depend on it.

Moike
    '79 R100RS

[1] I know, there is nowhere in the road rules that says anyone has right of way, but it's a simple shorthand way of saying the othr driver has a duty to give way.

4. So what are you trying to tell us?
    Welcome to motorcycling:)

btw are you displaying L plates?

5. Booming exhaust, lairy paintwork, headlight blazing, broad daylight.

It’s still a cloak of invisibility if you ride a m’cycle.

6. Incidents

Moike,
    Sorry should have rephrased the way I wrote.
    Was prepared for all the incidents, had noticed movement, had brakes, clutch covered, was already slowing down etc. I was just commenting on the fact that in the space of a total of about 90minutes of riding time, there were six people that were not aware of the traffic conditions on the road, not necessarily me as a bike but in general. For instance the truck and the woman reversing out of driveway. Hadn't noticed other vehicles let alone me.
    Btw the truck was into the left slip lane that has a giveway sign and another sign saying you must give way to turning traffic.
    Nodz

7. Of course once you gain some experience you may find that a lot of 'incidents' no longer seem to happen!

8. You seem in your first weekend of riding to have gone further in the art of dont trust the B#@ cage jockey to do the right thing and assumed the attitude of I'll just watch everyone than some people manage to do.

As scooter says you will refine this sense of distrusting the b#% cage jockey even more so that most of your listed griefs become a none issue.

Remember that the purpose of a cage driver is not to get from point A to point B but just to kill you. If you ride with that attitude you will do just fine.

9. Unfortunately, those incidents are pretty much par for the course these days :evil: . I had my closest incident in a long time coming home from work on Saturday arvo when a car did not look when I was right next to him as we were approaching an intersection. I had been in my lane for a couple of kms, minding my own business and not doing anything stupid, while I'd also had an Audi following me for probably 10 mins....he was obviously happy just cruising behind me as I wasn't doing anything unexpected and also gave him room to pass, etc, if he chose. Anyhow, when the guy in the white Camry nearly wiped me out, I did the usual braking sorting out gears and then the frustrated horn action (he did put his hand up to apologise a couple of times, which I guess is something). When I slammed on the brakes, the guy in the Audi obviously hit his hard too, as I could hear tyres screeching and I knew they weren't mine.. As I passed the idiot, I did the old fingers to the eyes gesture and the frustrated fisted hand at him, but the guy in the Audi went off tap at him at the next set of lights....and he was more concerned about me than himself! The next set of lights, he pulled up next to me and said he feels really sorry for motorcyclists having to put up with d#$kheads like that all the time.

So not all cagers are out to get us....its nice to have that reinforced sometimes. Its especially nice to have it happen when I'd been on my best behaviour!! :shock: :p :wink:

:D :D :D

10. give it a little while Nodz, soon enough what you call "incidents" today will just be another part of day to day life and you wont even register them, you will just react and move on as one would swishing a fly in summer. One minute later "what fly?".

All in all it sounds like you are doing well, keep it up.

Jason

11. Nodz, it sounds like you had a bad day out there but as others have highlighted - sometimes you can have days like this!

There will always be incidents like those that you describe. There are some selfish people out there, but also ones that are running late, did see you, not thinking straight, tired, or just have no idea!

Often you cannot do much about it (I reckon it'd be great fun to be one of those undercover bike cops) but hopefully over time you will recognise things a bit earlier so you can remain as safe as possible, either by slowing down, speeding up or otherwise getting the f*#* outta there!

But as you mentioned Nodz, you were able to appropriately recognise these potential hazards so you've done well.

...and yes, I've also noticed the good 'ol L plate seems to attract some real spankers at times.

- Jase

12. ooooo... reality bites :?

still, even tho we're much more vulnerable to all the knob-jockeys on the road, it's still way more fun than caging.

I'm surprised there were no taxi's involved :roll:

JJ

13. Nodz, well done mate! You are displaying signs of awarness that qualify you as part of the motorbike world.
    In this message, I also would like to give a BIG thank you to all car drivers who see me and allow me through lane splitting and any other instances of difficulty that I might encounter.
    Domenico

14. so you had a pretty normal day then?