Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

in tomorrows paper....article re motorcycle safety

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Smitty, May 16, 2006.

1. from todays The Age site-
    for tomorrows edition

DRIVE -
    The trouble with motorbikes - how the government has overlooked motorcycle safety in its transport strategy.
  2. is this expected to be a positive (well-balanced) or negative article from a riders point of view? I know riders and motorcycles should have been addressed in the transport strategy - but is the article along the lines of "we should get bikes off the road, adn that is what the transport strategy should say" or "bikes should be considered as a viable alternative".

I assume the second... I am sure I will find out tomorrow, but I want to know what to expect.
  3. Interesting...

I've had some correspondence with a Sunday Age journo about appropriate riding gear but that's a seperate newspaper and there's not usually much crossover...

I suspect they've picked up the stuff in the latest VACC magazine which has a good interview with Neil O'Keefe (chair of VMAC) and a lot about the VACC forum outcomes.

Hopefully that will be a good thing

(but I'm not holding my breath) :roll:

4. "The trouble with Motorbikes" I dont like those 2 words in the same sentence. Im negative and expecting the worst. hope they prove me wrong.
  5. Given that it's in DRIVE, and not the general editorial section, there's a fair chance that it will support bikes IMHO. Looking at their writers, David Morley is a rider, Bruce Newton used to be editor of AMCN, and Wolter ,er... Whossisname is a dirt biker.
    It's clear from the promo that it's the government that's in the hot seat. My money would be on something that looks at stuff coming out of the VACC forums and maybe VMAC, but we'll have to wait and see.
  6. Well - looks like someone at the Age has read the Media Releases that we have been sending them.

I am looking forward to reading this one.

For those who haven't read the latest one see it here: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19877

It will be interesting to see how much they got out of MRA.
  7. Dan Silverstone is generally sympathetic as well. He's been known to write about bikes in the past.
  8. News
    Toyota muscles in on Ford Territory

First Drive
    Mercedes-Benz redesigns the E-Class

Tanks for the memories, Ed

can't seems to see anything about "The trouble with motorbikes"

front page looks ok

:wink: :LOL: :LOL:

Lexus launches
    ‘sporty’ hybrid
  9. let me paraphrase without even seeing the artical based on the " The trouble with Motorbikes" ....

blah blah blah blah blah blah MOTORCYCLE blah blah blahblah blah blah IS BAD blah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blah M-KAY.... blah blah blah MADE UP STATS blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah THE END

by some unbiased never ridden a motorcycle never will, drives a volvo journalist.
  10. [IMG:172:236:78400afccb]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/gsxr1000k4/22.jpg[/img:78400afccb]

2morros DRIVE

still can't find anything about motorcycles in the "DRIVE" section of tomorrows Age, must be a bloody small story
  11. it'll be the direct opposite of that, they're just using a provocative headline to generate interest.
  12. I went out and purchased a copy of today's Age - solely on the basis of wanting to read this article.

To my disgust - NOTHING :evil: :mad: :mad:

Do I have grounds for complaint? I certainly intend to phone the Age today and vent my spleen at them.

The is false advertising in my book.......

I hope that there a few other riders who will join me in taking the same action. :)
  13. Fool are you.

Do what most other people do and have a quick flick through it before buying it to make sure it has something of interest before handing over my hard earned.

I do agree with your false advertising comments though.
  14. If its the opposite of what I sinicaly paraphrased then I'm going to go an buy the paper and read that artical.

But after reading years of misinformation from both the "volvo" jounalists out there I cant help but get a bit anti-media.
  15. S'true. When I worked in magazines, the mens' lines always struggled even though the womens' boomed. The research showed that men would habitually browse their mag in the newsagent, zeroing in on the bits of information they actually wanted, and then leave without buying anything.
    Upsets the retailers no end, but they can't do anything about it.

The article may have been pulled by management, or the legals at the last minute, either because it needs to be reviewed before publication, or because they don't want to upset someone. Or a simple commercial decision that something else has more value. But it's all conjecture.
  16. Actually, I did have a look at the web site too. But, I have noticed that sometimes what goes to print doesn't also go to the web site. And sometimes the web site doesn't get updated until well after the newspaper hits the stands.

So - armed with those thoughts, I went out and purchased a copy.

Was that foolish? Stupid question - but, I'm sure many will still think so..... :(
  17. Well, you should all look at the positive side...

At least you didn't by the Herald Sun instead!
  18. Just rang the Age to lodge my complaint - Phone 9600 4211

They are going to ring me back.

I will report back to you all after I get the call....

I actually buy the Herald Mon to Fri and the Age on Sat/Sun........ My complaint wouldn't be so strong if it was the Herald.
  19. It's not all that surprising that the pulled the article. Given that one of the Age's biggest advertisers is strongly anti-motorcycle and actively campaigns against bikes, a pro-bike article was bound to draw some pressure from the advertiser. :wink:
  20. And which one is that then?