Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

In the market for a scooter

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by Boomer, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a scooter (I'm from Melbourne), I was hoping to get some advice please.

My requirements are:
    No more than $4000
    Minimum 125cc (prefer 150 though)
    4 stroke engine
    Minimum speed: 80KM/H

I've narrowed it down to these models:

Bolwell Arriba 125cc
    Arqin Monarch 125cc
    Bug Agility 125cc
    TGB 303RS 125cc
    TGB 303RS 150cc
    VMoto Monaco JR 125cc
    Yamaha Cygnus 125cc

I've heard good and bad about Arqin (bit of this, bit of that bike, Chinese import), TGB (Chinese) etc etc...

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above models, are they all capable of doing 80KM/H with a single rider of about 90KG?

Also, anyone know of any good dealers who I could go through in Melbourne?

Thanks in advance :)

Boomer

2. i would go the bolwell or yamaha. all of these scooters should do a minimum of 80kl/h. go and sit on them and buy the one that feels right.

3. My first scoot was a Bolwell Arriba 125cc - great unit to start with, IMHO.

Also good reports about the Kymco / Bug machines.

Regarding dealers, there are some good ones; but there are good and bad stories about most of them, based on an individual's treatment and their motivation/ability/persistence to tell the rest of the world.

4. No worries thanks for your help guys :)

5. I ride a Bug Agility, great machine, will sit on 90+ without a problem.

Got mine at Scootermarket in Hoddle Street, Collingwood, but there are a number of dealers around now.

Previously owned a Bolwell. I can heartily recommend those as well.

6. My wife is thinking of selling her Bolwell EuroMix 150 , it is a '05 model with only 6000km with full service history.

PM me if you are interested.

7. I also have a BUG Agility, Dispite the speedo giving readings upto 115kph, when tested with a gps it was struggling to stay at 90kph on a flat road and i only weigh 65kg, at the first sign of an incline speed starts to drop.
    I have also had several issues with things comming loose. The mechanics appear good, though, i wouldn't recommend keeping it for more than a couple of years.
    Headlight is hopeless unless you keep it on high beam and the bulb is not standard and can be hard to find replacments if it blows. The standard tyres don't grip much in wet weather, i have had several near misses as the front wheel insist on sliding at corners in the wet even at reasonably slow speeds. But for $3,000 for a 125cc, you get what you pay for. I would recommend paying a bit more and getting a better quality scoot eg Yamaha, Honda, etc
    just my 2 cents worth.

8. My fiance has a Yamaha Cygnus 125. Its only done a few hundred km so far. I wanted to see how quick it would go and I reckon about 80kph is close to the top speed. Might get another 5 - 10 over that depending on if your going down hill or not :)

9. With my wife's Bolwell 150, it can easily go up to 100km/h on the freeway - manage to keep up with my GPX250R most of the time. :grin:

10. Arqin

I recently purchased an Arqin and did my Home work. It easily does 80 to 90 km/h. For a Chinese built scooter they are a very good build quality. The company that makes the bike is also the same company that produces a lot of Suzuki products. the only problem i found with the bike is the centre stand is mounted to low and scrapes when cornering. I removed mine as the side stand auto retracts after lifting the weight off it.

All in all well worth a test ride the power will suprise you.

11. I think you should certainly consider the Bolwell VS125. Great little scoot at a great price IMHO.