Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

In Pursuit of Unhappiness

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Petesul, Jan 13, 2016.

1. We make our own happiness so it seems, and it's not necessarily connected to how (monetarily) wealthy we are........

Troubling Habits of Chronically Unhappy People
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Very good, and logical. As my brother says, money can't buy you happiness, it can just make sure that you can be miserable in comfort...
    I think the biggest issue of all the flags in this article is the victim mentality: it seems to be endemic in society today. And Facebook and social media create a fertile field for its exercise.
    I refuse to spend time with unhappy people: I've had lots of setbacks and disappointments in my life but wallowing in despair about them isn't going to change anything. I rejoice in what I've got and don't waste my time thinking about what I haven't got.....
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Agreed but another mill couldn't possibly do any harm :)
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. And most of us here have bikes, what more could we want, apart from another twisty trail?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I don't know, sometimes when I get out to socialize it makes me unhappy there are so many stupid people in this world 100% genuinely concerned about things that don't make a pinch of shit difference, voting and breeding.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. I just can't help but think that people with a lot of money that aren't happy, would probably be just as unhappy if not more so if they were broke as shit - myself, I'm a happy guy and I'm broke, so it's only gotta be on wards and upwards with a few million in the bank!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Interesting read, it's a shame that some people get into a spiral of unhappiness that they can't get out of. That being said, it's often easier to say "get over it" than actually being able to "get over it".
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. A few years ago my partner and I had decently high paid jobs in not so good environments. Sure we had Foxtel and a big screen TV but we were both stressed out and probably horrible company. We got the opportunity to go into business for ourselves and haven't looked back... Our income has easily halved.. We have enough to pay off the mortgage, buy a few toys here and there but have dumped the Foxtel and other money wasters. We are in the best part of our lives, sure it's a bit stressful but we have a freedom we've never had before and we have time now to ride our bikes and be with family.

I wouldn't say no to a winning lotto ticket though hehehe ;)
    • Like Like x 7
  9. I'm happy but I'm grumpy too.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hmm. There's the stress of a high-paying, high-responsibility job... then there's the stress of keeping the wolves from the door and food on the table for your kids.
    I know which one I think is worse.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Funny you should say that. 12 months ago I was a Group Quality Manager of a large pipeline company in the CSG industry getting paid big bucks. I was an absolute prick to live with, and to be honest seemed to spend the extra money without really even thinking about it or noticing nice new things.

My package has been reduced by around 120k since then, with a much less stressful job and a much firmer outlook on stability in the role.

After about 3 months of trying to get the budget to work, it sorted itself out......and the funny thing is, I don't feel any poorer for it.

Rather than stressing about work every minute of the day, now when I leave work I don't think of it again until I'm back at the office.

The funniest part.....people talk to me and are different around me now at family events etc. Before I was seen by most at these functions as a shinning light of success. Now, they seem to think I'm a no hoper bum. Doesn't seem to matter that I'm happier, my wife is happier and my kids are getting a lot more attention.
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. I don't know about some of that, being social sure as hell doesn't improve my mood.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. My partner and I spend a load of time in Vanuatu (the happiest place in the world) since we scuba dive as well. The locals are the most happiest people in the world who don't have the stresses and have a simply life with no need of all the modern cons. Our goal is to move over there and live the peaceful life......the only piece of social media that I am on is this site. However, got to go back to a dirt bike...roads aren't the best.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The article mentions a plateau of happiness reached by people who have reached an annual income of $20,000 from poverty. I've also read other articles stating that from a Western perspective it is about $75,000 where a happiness plateau occurs. That is, people are able to have basic needs taken care of which provides a basis to engage in other things that bring about happiness like family, friends, interests...motorcycles? Which brings to mind Maslow's hierarchy of needs:

I've found that people who are able to engender an attitude of gratitude (that rhymes nicely, doesn't it) for what they have are generally much happier and contented...and much easier, enjoyable in fact, to be around.

Now look, I know this goes against much of what the article says but US Powerball is about to have a record US$2.1B, yes billion, draw tomorrow at 2:00PM...who's in for a ticket?

That's what it comes down to for a lot of people doesn't it: 'If I stay in this job until we've bought that house in a nicer suburb/bought that new car/gone on that holiday then I'll be able to afford to leave...' as opposed to the type of situation where you're struggling to put food on the table. Added to that there can be that sense of 'Don't give up, keep going' which in and of itself is a good thing but as you've said the toll is often becoming horrible company to be around - 'You are the company you keep', etc. Your comment has particular relevance for me; good food for thought.

When work or other stressors manage to affect your behaviour and infect the other aspects of your life outside work itself is warning sign isn't it. I know I would rather be someone who is easy to be around and earns less than the other way around.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. 'Money is the root of all evil'? What unhappy, destitute, whingeing, penniless tosser wrote that line? ...................... oh yeah, me.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. I am only happy when I am dragging others down to my level. I have shed a few ex friends that do this a lot. And I am definitely happier now.
  17. I bet Jamie Packer was very happy sacking that security guard the other day. I wonder how happy he is.
  18. Having more money does not make you happy, but it does change the nature of the problem.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. With you 100%, had a similar role a few years ago with the Ambulance Service, great money, shit hours and by the end of it I was a wreck, not worth it. My income is basically halved what it was, but my lifestyle and general well being are a million times improved.

I don't want to have to WORK for the money.. I just want it to somehow land in my bank account, all the funds, no stress!
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Haha, we often say similar things about our customers (we run a small cafe), "just put your money on the counter and walk off - we'll be on our bikes!" ;)