Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

In helmet Comms....

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by BitSar, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Anyone got a good recommendation for bike-to-bike communications?

Preferably a PTT (Push to Talk) in helmet setup...

2. I am also looking for recommendations for a blue tooth headset that can be used for phone mp3 and talk to other headsets
  3. SCALA RIDER G4 is the beez kneez for blue tooth.

For PTT you will need to talk to a bike comms expert - one used to advertise here.
  4. different brands of bluetooth units - can they communicate with each other or is it just brand to same brand ?
  5. Ducfreak is on here who runs www.dmme.com.au - can highly recommend him
  6. from my limited knowledge of mobile phones:

as long as they support the right bluetooth profile (I think ICP is the one you want - don't quote me on it), shouldn't be a problem going between brands (unless the manufacturers are jerks)
  7. I have a pair of Sena SMH-10 bluetooth headsets. They work up to 1 km away in a clear line of sight, but tend to lose each other over hills. On my own I can bluetooth to my phone, listen to music and call home to let the missus know when to expect me. They were about $550 for the pair, but have been fantastic for teaching the misses to ride. One push on the big round knob lets you talk to the other person, then if you want music or peace and quiet, another push turns it off. Runs for at least 10 hours on a full charge.

I can't rate them highly enough.
  8. I use a StarCom1 Advance from http://www.dmme.com.au/ , with a 3 watt UHF radio.

For rider/pillion communication it's open-mike rather than push-to-talk.

For UHF radio it's push-to-talk or you can set a VOX level to transmit over UHF automagically once the microphone hears noise above a certain level. Main advantage with UHF is that anyone with a UHF can send/receive with you.

The StarCom1 Advance can also accept audio cables from GPS, phone, etc, etc.

I personally prefer having a wired curly-cable to the helmet rather than having to faff about with batteries and recharging and the extra weight on the helmet, but that's my preference, YMMV.

Main downside is that it's a much more dear option than a bluetooth helmet-to-helmet kit, especially once the cost of the UHF radio is added on.

On the other hand, Bluetooth helmet-to-helmet is just that: One helmet talking to another helmet, not one rider talking to and listening to anyone within UHF range.
  9. I brought a pair of scalda g4 when my girlfriend first got her bike. They ain't exactly push to talk but they are great though and very versatile.

They work by radio frequency so it allows you to talk over each other... not sure if that is a pro or con sometime. They are also very easy to set up. Once set up, turn them on and your ready to go. I normally listen to music while I ride, when I need to talk to her i just speak something into the mic to activate the comm, give it a second and then were talking.

Like i said you can also sync it with your bluetooth enabled phone and use it to listen to music, podcast ect. It also has capabilities to connect to certain gps devices and a 3.5mm jack incase you live in the stone age.

Highly recommended
  10. OK Guys heres the rules

Bluetooth headsets (ANY brand) is purely a one to one system. Some will pair with multiple headsets but STILL only one to one and number 1 has to choose which of the others o talk to and the rest cant talk to each other. We have some that can do 4 headsets and 900m BUT they still work like above.
    AND no BT headset will pair with any one elses they ONLY talk to their own brand ](*,).
    UHF radio is the go for multiple people on multiple bikes over distances of 5kms and up to 15kms, there are now 77 channels to choose from =D> so a "private channel" is pretty well guarenteed.

There are systems and BT headsets available off eBay etc that are very cheap , and YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR so bear that in mind.

We do a budget B-B based on UHF radio from $270, a BT headset pair from $350 and systems that range up to $1200, just depends on how many voices you want in your head :angel:

I personally run a StarCom1 Digital with a Uniden UHF radio, MP3 and BT module for the phone and GPS, I have spoken on the UHF at $150 ( on a private road of course) and been asked what truck I was in, and blew them away when I said the Old Ducati going past :angel:. Taken phone calls at $120 and been asked to write down addresses :D. I have video demo on both sites (www.dmme.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au) recorded form the pillion socket on my '78 Duc 900, the second half is the mic sat in the gearsack for comparison.

Basic rule to remeber is you gets what you pays for.

list your needs and I can advise what system is best for you (GENERIC even not just what I have :angel:)
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Thank you Duc freak - advice from a pro always welcomed