Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by johnno, Apr 14, 2007.

1. could someone please explain to me what they mean when they say the motorcycle is an import and cannot be registered.
    thanks in advance.

2. Vehicles can be imported to Australia privately, but each country has different rules for what things certain vehicles MUST have.

For instance, over here - vehicles must have indicators.
    In Africa, this may not be as important. So a bike made in Africa might not have indicators and therefore could not be registered here.

Bikes released officially in Australia, will already comply with our requirements for a vehicle to qualify as a registerable vehicle ie. one we allow on the roads.

Imported vehicles may require modification and certification before they can be registered here.
    Most bikes [ie. from Japan] DO conform to our requirements, but must be complianced - which means they are checked and certified that they conform to Australian vehicle standards, and can be registered.

An import must be "complianced" before it can be registered.
    Sometimes an import must be modified to conform to Australian standards before it can be "complianced" and thus registered.

Makes sense? :)
  3. Some imports from other countries are of spec that do not meet the australian standards and thus cannot be registered. Most of these bikes are race bikes. There are ways that u can register, one is finding a import place that has a licence to comply the bike making it registerable. Or by frame swapping(not very legal :grin: :grin: )
  4. Sometimes the differences are fairly simple to change. An example of this is Australias rather wider minimum blinker distance.

GPX250's sold in Japan can use blinker lenses in each side of the rear ducktail, but in Australia they must be fitted with sticky outy stalk blinkers because the minimum distance is wider apart than the standard factory fitted blinkers.

Low volume importers know what needs to be changed and have the relevant licenses to do this. It is _much_ harder for an individual.
  5. KK now you have my interest.. i have one of them import gpx250's, and i can sat it still has the original ducktail indicaters, and no signs of ever having been modded to comply.Didnt know that the jap setup was illigal :shock:
  6. Just on the same sort of theme, are the eligibilities for compliancing the same as they are for cars, IE, Private import, 1989 rule, or not released in aus rule?
  7. I say cool... but you may want to check how that affects any insurance you have on the bike.

Any excuse to tear up a policy, etc...
  8. they are the same for all vehicles

Alert - Importation of Vehicles Manufactured Before 1 January 1989

The Government has announced changes to the arrangements for the importation of vehicles 15 years or older. Under the new rules, vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1989 may be imported without restriction. Vehicles built during 1989 (or later) will need to qualify under the Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme (RAWS).

The new rules apply from 13 May 2005. However, transitional arrangements will apply to importers who have made a financial commitment prior to the Minister's announcement on 7 February 2005. These arrangements will continue until 31 December 2005. The Media Release and Frequently Asked Questions outline the new requirements and detail the transitional arrangements.
  9. its interesting to consider that isn't it, and then that i guess would lead to having to consider all those modifed from stanard with them tiny ones that are on stalks.Ive seen some mounted under the tail peice and prolly wouldn't even stick out past were mine do .That said from my understanding this bike was originaly imported byt semoto (eh whatever the spelling of them is :p) and ive heard mixed things about them that aint gunna be said by me here.So i'll leave that to people to make there own minds about :)
  10. That said from my understanding this bike was originaly imported byt semoto (eh whatever the spelling of them is :p) and ive heard mixed things about them that aint gunna be said by me here.So i'll leave that to people to make there own minds about :)[/quote]

Yes, SUMOTO world of 250's = dodgy. Thats what i think anyway. they love to prey on noobs who dont know much about bikes. service = crap. they took 4 days to do my "free" service, which was oil, plugs and cable lube. i was suspect of them, so i marked my oil filter with a texta, and sure enough it wasnt changed (they said filter replaced too). the oil was also still very dirty, maybe just a top-up. 4 days?
  11. So is this where it is at:

88 and older=any vehicle can be imported
    89 and newer the vehicle needs to be RAWS processed.

so what vehicles can be RAWS processed? It used to be if there wasn't a similar type of vehicle officially imported then it could be.

And I think I remember some change to who could do the RAWS. You can't do it yourself, it must be by a RAWS dealer and only if they have the license for that particular model.

Is this true?

I assume the drop off in newer imports recently is because of the last point.
  12. It also depends to some extent upon the age of the bike. An 89 GPX is I understand early enough that it wouldn't need to be modded.

As for the aftermarket kits people mention yes technically they don't comply in Australia. The same applies for most fender eliminator kits.

Having said that most people get away with it... at least until they do something else wrong and get the book thrown at them anyway :LOL:
  13. A friend in the import business has told me that the shit has really hit the fan recently. anything pre-1989 is still fine, but anything more recent is just not economical. Previously they could import them and compliance plate them fairly simply.

Changes to legislation mean that now impoters are treated as though they are vehicle manufacturers, having to meet *current* ADR (australia design rules). This means fitting catalytic converters, and silly things like no fibre packed exhausts, unless they do hideously expensive tests on stock packing materials to rate them for lifespans.

So, basically the import business has died, which is a damn shame, since it means that you're no longer going to be able to get bikes like the V-Max, which is a very unique and popular bike which has never been sold in australia.

14. that kinda sucks cuvy
    grey imports r usaaly a decent cheap alternative.

BTW my GPX has integrated blinkers aswell but if u look the the back wiring loom it has had the wires grafted that accomodate the stick out blinkers.
  15. Yeah it was a shame. the 15 year limit was creeping up on the early 90s and there were some interesting bikes come about at the stage.

I like the Suzuki Goose 350 for example. I think it would have been a good bike for learners too.
  16. The 15 year rule was mainly changed mainly due to that in 89, Japanese cars that were previously only coming in for low volume compliance (which cost anywhere between $2500 - $4000) were eligible to be imported without a compliance plate needing to be fitted. Australian retailers such as Toyota and the like viewed it as a threat to their market (which I never understood cause they import high volume NEW cars) so they lobbied the governement to have the rule changes and succeeded. The government came up with all this bullsh!t about emissions (interesting to note though that Japanese cars from 1989 exceeded ADR emmission until about 1999-2000) and said froze the 15 year old rule.

The whole thing was a complete bullsh!t scam and prevented a lot of people getting cars which came standard with things like climate control, electric windows/mirrors, etc, which are still listed as options on Australian cars today.

It didn't effect bikes so much though as they were all coming through full volume importers anyway, and it's not really cost effective to just import one bike.
  17. Oh yeah, and with the original question!

There's a few things that statement could mean. There's a few avenues whereby a bike could be imported.

If it's missing a compliance plate, that will be an issue unless it was imported under the personal import scheme (someones bike they owned for 12 or months overseas and brough back with them). In that case you'd need the import papers.

If its full compliance - the bike must have a comliance plate on it, otherwise you're stuffed!

Racing - if it's been brought in for racing, your stuffed. Youll never get it registered on the road.

It could also just be a disgruntled RTA/VicRoads inspector who hates imports! :LOL: Plenty of those around!
  18. there used to be a thing, where if you owner (drove?) a car in another country for a while, you could get it into the country. Does anyone know if this rule still exists?

Maybe the compliance thing would still be impossible
  19. i had to transfer my rego to my brothers name (dont ask) a while ago, and my bike had no compliance plate. they ran the numbers thru a database and all was ok...
  20. Yep, it's called the Personal Import scheme. 12 months continuous ownership and use overseas. Not many cars/bikes come through this way.

Another pitfall is when bikes are left here when they're brought in on a Carnet de Passage. Owner thinks stuff it, too expensive to ship back, sells it to someone on the sly, can't register it here.

Best speak to the RTA to get some history on the bike, failing that try contact DOTARS.