Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Importing - Personal - Proof of ownership

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by rdkls, Aug 22, 2011.

  1. Going to be importing my bike soon, which I've had over here for ca 1.5 years, wondering if to do it as personal import, do I need to prove I've owned/ridden it for a year?
    Or is it enough to just declare that?
    Was talking to a girl who did relocation logistics and said it's only really for newer vehicles (mine's a 2006).
    Anyone got experience with this?

  2. If it's after 89 you will have to have owned (regeistered?) it for 12 months. I can imagine they will want proof otherwise everyone would just say that.
  3. They will want a paper trail...
    - registration paper/title
    - insurance docs
    - service invoices
    - passport showing you were in the country
  4. Has anybody actually DONE this
  5. Yes - but with a car, the process is the same.

    They basically want a paper trail that shows that you owned it, used it and lived in the origin country - if you can put that together then you shouldn't have a problem.
  6. Go to the 'Geezers' website. They import pre & post '89 harley's etc & have a lot of good info on their site re: compliance etc. They can even arrange transport of your bike in the US & once its here deliver to your door.