Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

importing new bike from usa

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by goer86, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Hey can anyone point me in the right direction, I am looking at getting a yamaha warrior or xv1700 (same thing)and they are very cheap new in america and also no longer available for sale new in aus. so i was thinking of importing one. i have worked out currency difference, freight and gst and am still ahead of a 3-4 year old second hand one. does anyone know the government rules/ procedure for doing this.

Best Regards

2. 1. Go to vicroads.
    2. Tell them you want to import a bike.
    3. Leave your wallet on the counter.
    4. Bend over and grab your ankles.
  3. im from queensland i have a funny feeling i will be raped thou
  4. from QLD?

then it's x 2 on 4.
  5. Yeah, import duty on any vehicle is a fairly sizable proportion of its value. The duty is based on what customs value the bike to be, not what you pay for it.

Some reading :) (can't post links so just shove the www in front of the below)

looks like motorcycles are exempt from duty, but GST has to be paid.
  6. exchange rate
    shipping insurance
    Modifications for compliance
    rego etc

= Bout the same as buying one here.
  7. I believe there are rules that will stop you getting the bike registered in Australia. The bike needs to be a certain age before it can be imported. Some stupid rule to prevent the "authorized importers" going broke (and allowing them to rob you blind in the process).

The only way around it is if you live overseas and owned it over there (registered for on the road) for a certain period of time.

I checked it out a while ago. A ducati 1098S is half price in the USA compared to here.
  8. Thats because they sell the ducati in Australia. The OP is enquiring about importing a bike that is no longer sold here so is allowed to be imported.
  9. the modifications for compliance is where im stuck at the only one i could think off is mph instead of kph as they have blinkers and lights n thats it reallly on a bike
  10. Headlight faces a different way.
    may be some reflectors
    may be an extension on the rear guard
    may be a different noise limit on the exhaust
    may be different emission limits
    may be tuned to run on different fuel
    may be etc . . .
  11. No, it was sold here, so he can't import it. It's only if the bike/car/whatever was never sold here at all when that rule applies.