Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Importing Companies

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by Milefire, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Hi - obviously a n00b here. I've searched through the site and forums and can't really find the info I'm after so I'm hoping someone has an easy answer or knows off the top of their head....

I lived in Japan for a longtime when I was younger and bgought and rode an sr400 while I was there. Sold it bofore I came home but really want to get another. It was from a little custom garage in Osaka and I want to get one from the same place.

Is there any companies or businesses who can import for me? I know there are motorcuycle importers around, but they generally buy stock at auctions (which is insanely cheap in Japan) and import them, but is there anywhere that will import "my" bike for me and help me get it sorted for local registration here?

Any help or point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

2. I'd ask the guys selling the import bikes, they should be happy to help for a slice of the pie...

3. If the bike was built before Jan 1st 1989 I believe that there are no import restrictions, and no ADR compliance requirements, however it will need to meet the local authority's safety requirements.

The above is for cars and from memory bikes too, but check out customs website for further info.

4. Gday, i used to issue import approvals funnily enough!

As previous post said, if it was manufactured before 1989, sweet. If not, you're stuffed unless you have owned and used it for more than 12 consecutive months (and have the paperwork to back it up, like rego papers, etc).

If you haven't owned it, manufacturers will not comply it and the full volume importers will most likely say "we've got a nice one for sale here if you want".

5. Thank you GS - and other guys. Much appreciated.