Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Importing bottom end of motor

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Steamfrog, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hi I am just hoping for some advice or links, I want to buy a banshee motor complete or just bottom end from Ebay.com the motor is less than $1000

Do I need a VIA from the Department of Infrastructure and Transport?
    Does anyone know of any cheap shipping or even some space left on a container?
    Has anyone done this before?
    I could really use some advice as the .gov website are more about whole bikes or luxury cars.

Thanks in advance
  2. Re: Importing bottom end of motor *Update

OK rang the relevant authorities, Department of Infrastructure and Transport.
    Bringing in whole 2nd hand motor is no problem as long as clean and is packed correct, no organic matter and no fluids.

So I bought a running banshee motor to convert to TSS 421. $1600 au including shipping. Sent via mail from USPS.

3. I don't even know what TSS 421 is, but it sounds like fun :D

Just thinking out loud here, but it makes sense: engines die and are replaced, and you register the frame/chassis of a vehicle, not the engine.
    About the only people I can think of who it would matter to, would be buyers of vintage vehicles looking for matching numbers - can anyone think of any other times they've been asked about the engine no?
  4. Dont be surprised if quarantine flag it and slug you a fee.
    some one i know imported a motor and it cost about $500 in charges.
  5. I'm pretty sure when you are registering your vehicle (Victoria), VIN and engine number is required to complete the form.

When I did an engine transplant on my car, I had to give the new engine number to VicRoads, so that they can check if it wasn't stolen and keep the engine registration updated. This helps me later down the track if I want to sell the car with less hassle as well as still having a valid spare engine in the garage if my car with the new engine gets stolen.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. All good, seller is going to mark down price to less than $1000, its only cheating by $100, so engine should come door to door.

The TSS 421 is a Modified 421cc 2 stroke built from the bottom end of a Banshee (RZ 350 block) - I'm building a monster 2 banger from an RS250 frame.
  7. Telling people online that you are going to commit fraud by understating the value of an item to avoid paying customs duties and GST is NOT a good idea..
  8. The motor was less than a grand, its was the shipping and packing charges that cost a little more ;)
  9. My apologies, I misunderstood your post.