Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

importing a motorcycle from japan

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by DC-autosport, May 7, 2007.

1. hi all,

has anyone imported a motorcycle from japan? i will be travelling to japan in october and i have the opportunity to purchase a friends bike (who is a Japan resident) for a very reasonable price. (the bike is less than 15years old if that makes a difference). this bike is not the only option, if possible i'll explore the classifieds in japan to see if there are more bargains out there.

im struggling to find any information on the net in regards to compliancing and tax's. i plan to bring the bike back myself, as i will be hiring a container for other misc auto components.

any information, links etc would be greatly appreciated. i have never been to japan, although i am travelling in a group, some have experience with importing, not cars or bikes though.

thanks

Dan

2. Look here http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

http://www.google.com.au/search?num...ivate+Importing&btnG=Search&meta=cr=countryAU

Hope these help. Personally, it would want to be a very good deal......

3. I noticed in tthis months Two Wheels that there was an ad saying somehting like: "Want to import an overseas vehicle?? Call us because we make it easy!!!" or something along those lines. Can't remember the name of the company, and I don't have my mag with me.

So if you've got a current Two Wheels handy, it's near the front...

4. I know someone many years ago who was teaching english(gee-whats the odds) in Japan. He imported his transport while there back to Oz, a Honda CBR1000F and GSX750 limited edition. His wife was Japanese and he spoke a decent amount of the lingo and said that it was an ENORMOUS amount of red tape and paperwork and bullsh*t he had to go through and in the end, each bike(-both with low km's & in pristine nick) he reckoned he saved about 1500-2k. His thoughts where it wasnt really worth it in the end, unless you knew the lingo and had the contacts. Because once you get it to Oz, you have to get it complianced here, again costing big$ and lots of time dealing with registration and licencing authorities, also tax issues on importation of foreign vehicles.

5. movin,

i'm not 100% sure but i think its different when you've owned the bike and you want to bring it to OZ with you. I seem to remember hearing that its much more difficulty/costly to just buy an overseas bike.

6. I believe that you need to have proved 12 months of ownership to be exempt from all the import duties. But it may be worth it if the bike is cheap enough.

7. It definitely used to be 6 months not 12, but it's been two gummints since checked it out, and I don't have any more recent info so that could well have changed.

8. Gday, heres the go (I used to issue the permits)

The only way you can import a road bike into the country is if you either a. own and use it for 12 consecutive months or b. arrange for a compliance plate to be fitted to the bike. You might find it difficult though as most bike compliance plate holders import and fit compliance plates for their own bikes, so asking them for a plate is essentially cutting into their market. Unlike jap import cars which compliance is held by low volume importers (RAWS - registered automotive workshops), most (possibly all) compliance plates for bikes are held by full volume importers. DOTARS should have a list of compliance plate holders for bikes, ring around and see how you go, but I dont recall seeing any bike approvals for individuals. You never know, the plate holder might import it for you on your behalf, but will probably charge for the service as well as the compliance plate. Dont bother with the manufacturers either cause they'll tell you where to jump.

This is all separate to arranging for shipping, entries through Customs (which can be done through a Customs Broker - advisable). While bikes are as cheap as hell in Japan, it all starts adding up by the time you get it home.

Personally, I'd import a car, a lot less cr@p involved (in comparison!)

9. *hijak* lets say i wanted to import a done up mini 15 years and older..

i would need to get it engineered? and all back here to get it rwc?

10. There's no longer 15 years or older, it's pre-1989. To import it, DOTARS would only need proof of ownership. After clearing it through Customs your local rego office will determine what needs to be done for rego (this could include engineers cert). Best ring them to check.

11. basically, i have the opportunity to purchase a 06' CBR600RR with 6000k's for approx 300,000jpy. about $3200 aussie.. i know the guy, he just doesn't use the bike enough, so it is no longer needed.

i was hoping i could get it landed here for a reasonable amount.

12. Importing shouldn't be a problem - getting it complianced so you can ride it on the roads would be though. Basically it's only worth bringing in if you want to use it solely as a track bike - a CBR600RR isn't going to get approval under SEVS and since it wasn't owned by you overseas it can't be brought in as a private import either.

13. Does anyone have a link to somewhere you can buy bikes from over there? Can't use eBay, don't read the language, nor does my computer.

14. This site's good for seeing what's available and what prices are like:
    http://www.e-chiba.jp/index.html
    But I'm yet to find a Japanese used bike site in English.

15. Arranging shipping is easy enough,

However what i would do is strip the bike into parts. Sell the frame (in Japan or in AUS as a track bike frame).
    Ship all the parts over here.
    Buy a matching frame in Aus from a wrecker reasemble the parts onto that frame. That way u are only paying for shipping and a 2nd hand Frame (as u will loose money selling the other frame