Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Imported Scooter and getting it registered!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Fonda my Honda, Jul 22, 2006.

  1. Greetings

    My girlfriend acquired a V Moto Milan Scooter 50CC from China from a friend who was given the scooter via her workplace.

    So her workplace paid the Customs duty tax etc etc but my g/f did not receive Ownership Papers - she was simply handed the key.

    We have rung to get a Road Worthy Certificate and was advised by Scooter City in Melbourne, the bike needs a plate stating it meets Australian Standards.....uh oh!
    If there is no plate on the scooter (which there aint) - Scooter City could not help us and advised that we take the scooter back to Customs - Bloody hell!

    I rang V Moto in Port Melbourne and Peter who services, sells and imports them, advised, that he was unable to issue a Road Worthy.
    (By the way - Peter is a really helpful guy, if anyone wants advice etc, give him a call)

    So Help Netrider Community.....how can we get this scooter on the road!
    I read that VTR BOB might be able to offer advice after reading a previous thread on registration.
  2. Forget it, as an individual importing a motorcycle or vehicle there is a lot going against it, and its purposely like that to protect existing business, firstly the documentation itself on ADR is difficult to source, once you do it is then even harder to decipher.
    Then you face the problem of being unable to find people to help you prepare your bike to meet ADR, simply because anyone involved in this process who has the knowledge has a vested interest in the private person being unable to get compliance so as they buy through them (grey importers).
    Then there are only a handful of blokes in this state licensed to ADR bikes and they are usually tied up with the biz of the importers so good luck even getting tested, the testing is comprehensive & the fee is around the $1500 mark if you are a private individual.
    Without compliance plates bikes cannot be registered for road use.
    I know this because my mate imported a 1off chopper from the states last year and went through the ADR process.
  3. Check out http://www.dotars.gov.au/index.aspx for the requirements for importing and subsequent registering of a motorcycle/ scooter. When iwas looking at it they were actually quite helpful wheni sent them an email and sent me a pdf of the forms required to be filled out etc. Can't remember exactly what was on them now and don't have them anymore but they'll tell you. They recommend getting all the paperwork worked out BEFORE the bikes/ scooter arrives though so you don't get stuck with something you can't reg.
  4. Thanks for your help and advice.

    My girlfriend has emailed the person who sold it (and simply handed over the key) saying, it is not legal to sell it, if we are unable to register and get a roadworthy etc.

    By the way, if I did not mention, this person was simply given the Scooter as a gift from work but nothing else (no papers, no rego, no roadworthy...go figure)

    Well, the plot thickens.

    Regards Rion
  5. maybe sell it , and buy a new one? or do you really really want this one
  6. The question remains, how do you sell something which cannot be registered or given a roadworthy?
    It would only be useful on a farm!!

    Why my g/f would want a nifty 50cc is anyones guess.
    Gutless wonders.....suburb only.
    I told her to get a 100cc at least.....

    Mind you - she has a Fireblade CBR250RR parked in the garage.
    As she had not driven a car at all, she wants to build her confidence up with the scooter (which makes sense)

  7. Bikes built in before 1989 are easy to import and register.

    Bikes built after that have to either have a compliance plate (as you have found out) or you need to have owned them (and been overseas) for 18 months in order to do a private import. The situation used to be different but pressure from local importers led to the regulations being changed.

    Without one of those two options you are up the creek in a barbwire cannoe without a paddle, because the importers will _not_ help you compliance a 'parallel' import.

    There are some small places that bring in import bikes but they are normally very reluctant to look at bikes other than those they import themselves and even if they are the costs generally more than take up any savings.

    This of course doesn't matter for off road bikes, but it's a right pain for road bikes (and scooters).
  8. trust me fonda get her onto the cbr ! i have both scooter and bike , but i prefer bike better
  9. Actulay it is legal to sell.