Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Imported bikes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Paulstar3, Sep 11, 2012.

  1. Hey guys

    I've not really looked at imported bikes yet but starting too. I have a question - if the bike has no compliance plate - but it does have an import plate and is currently registered. Is that legit? Should it also have a compliance plate? The bike is from California

    Thanks in advance!
  2. I don't believe a compliance plate is necessary if it was brought in as a private import - ie they'd owned it in the US for at least 12 months prior to moving to Australia, and kept it for at least 12 months after living here.

    Also exempt if it was built prior to 1989.
  3. Be very careful about buying a bike from the USA. Sure, the purchase price may be attractive but the cost of having it converted from left hand drive to right hand drive can be very expensive.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Thanks, it's a valid point. Luckily the guy who's regassing the aircon will undertake the RHD conversion at the same time.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. That's great! do you have any sources for that information? i have no idea where to look the googlefu is failing on this one ..too much generic information out there about importing bikes ](*,)
  6. All the relevant info is here:
  7. your engineer will issue you with your compliance plate. Make sure you do your home work or it could end up being a very costly experience, but if you know what your doing it's actually pretty straight forward 1 year process ](*,)
  8. Thanks, at this stage - just looking at bikes that are already imported into Aus. At a later stage will be looking at bringing a couple of bikes in from India 8-[
  9. if they are already imported here and registered then someone else has done the leg work.....that is only for bikes that you are bring in, that link JD posted tells you EVERYTHING you need to know, good luck