Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Importance of Helmet Build Dates??

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by timnkoo, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Hi guys, to all the more experienced riders here or those that know- would a brand new helmet that has never been worn with a build date of 10/03 still be totally fine to wear? Should I be concerned at all?

2. It will be fine, has it been stored in a box, covered, or indoors?. I was told to consider the day it is taken out of the box as the start of useful 5 years life. I also Imagine may people wear them for more than 5 years.
  3. The main reason for replacing a helmet after a period of time is that the foam liner compresses. Obviously if it hasn't been worn it won't have compressed however polystyrene will still lose some of it's impact absorption since the gas used in it's manufacture will slowly leak out over time leaving it partially "deflated". The foam and chin strap can also be weakened by mould growth if it's been stored poorly. 4 years probably isn't enough time for either of these things to be a real problem - really going to depend on the quality of the helmet and whether it's worth taking the risk for the sake of saving some cash.
  4. Thanks for the replies so far. It is a Soumy SPEC1R and has never left it's box (apparently). So it 'should' be ok right?
  5. Yeah it should be okay, personally I'd rather wear that than a brand-new 100 buck cheapie.