Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Import vs Local bikes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by demuire, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Bought the Motorcycle Trader today, and was looking at the ad from the import place here in Queensland. What are people's opinions on buying an imported bike?

I'm guessing sticking with a bike that is either very popular here, or also came out here (like a Virago) would be a good start, in case spare parts are required. Is insurance more, if the bike was also locally delivered? Or are all imports bikes that were never locally delivered (which I think is the way import cars work)? There were a few XV750's and the like in the ad, is why I'm wondering, as I thought they were locally delivered too.

Anything else I should be aware of, if I went down the path of getting an imported bike? They seem to be well priced, with very low k's (a bit like import cars I guess).

2. I think that the only thing you would pay more for is insurance (Depending on your situation), there are alot of imported bikes on the road mainly learner bikes (CBR250's, zx2r's, etc) and unless you get a rarer import like an NSR or something parts shouldn't be to hard to get.

I only really know about the learner sports imports because i enquired about it when i was looking for my bike but i would assume it would be similar for all types.
  3. Yeah certain models were sold here and are brought in as grey imports - I think the only restriction is that they not be from the same year (loophole is that technically a 91 model import is a different model to a locally delivered 92 model). Since bikes are given a going over when they're imported they're often in better condition than locally delivered bikes of a similar age (most grey imports are around 15 years old).
  4. Be aware that some insurance companies won't cover 'grey import' bikes (if they realise they are greys), and may reduce payouts if they find out afterwards.

Also some shops and some distributors won't work on them.

Neither of these are huge issues if you live in a major city but can be a problems when you are travelling in country areas.
  5. The biggest differences are in the suspension, the carbie tune and the final drive ratio.

But keep in mind that it may actually be cheaper if the parts are different on an overseas model. This is because you can readily order parts over the internet and Australian part suppliers are rip of mechants.

If I were to buy one the first thing I would do is get the carbie re-tuned. Chances are it will be pretty ordinary for Australian conditions.
  6. my bike is a 96 complianced, where is my bfs (lowisuzu) is a aus 96... things just look a lot newer, cos mines an 88 gpx really.

so far, mines going better, where as his looks more pretty (for the time being!)
  7. "Complianced" - what a joke of a term!

Remember for myself to get a 1985 Compliance plate stuck to my head - can't wait to hit the nightclub scene again!

"Showing signs of wear-and-tear"!
  8. complianced = rebirthed jap bike
  9. I have a grey import. It is a 95 model (first time this model came in to Aussie was 96.)I found Insurance not overly difficult to get altho a lot of insurance companys have this model bike on their books but from 96 on, so cannot quote. However Swann Insured it and at a good price.You will find that all oils and fluids will be changed (at least they were on mine) and the bike has to comply with the relevant laws of the state that you would purchase it in. In the case of mine it had to pass an inspection and then was also inspected during rego ( I was the first Australian owner)I am fairly sure that the speedo had been tampered with as it had only done 21ks in 10 years,and now that the numbers on the speedo have changed they dont line up which is usually a good indication.It also has a restricter built into the speedo which speed limits the bike to 185ks (or so I have been told) the Aussie new models do not. To sum up a bloody good bike,it performs as I would want and I am really happy with it even tho it is a import.Parts are not a problem (altho I have only bought filters so far)
    Cheers hope this helps
  10. I dont really think its a re-birth... woudn't that mean it'd be hard to register?
  11. "not so much after life, more apres-vie"
    Ford Prefect at Milliways, HHGTG
  12. Grey imports are second-hand bikes (virtually all sourced from Japan) which are brought into the country and complianced (ie made to meet design criteria required of new bikes sold in the country). As part of this typically all fluids are replaced along with brake pads, tyres and lights (Japan runs lower wattage globes) and the paintwork is usually given a respray. Complaince date is when the bike was brought into the country, usually there's a manufacture date stamped on the bike somewhere that'll tell you when it was actually built.
  13. Nope, i'd say most of the imports are re-birthed.
    A little birdy told me that if you ship a bike carcass out of Japan you actually get paid to do it as it's disposing of unwanted 'rubbish'. Bring it to Australia and then Sumoto-ise it - and sell it as 'NEW 2005 MODEL!' :roll: :wink:
  14. Yeh i know.. cars/bikes hit 50,000km and get rid of them... I know how it works, but my point was that they cant ALL be re-births.

Unless everyone has a diferent vareient of re-birth, isn't a re-birth a written off car/bike thats made to look pretty again even though there would be structual damage?
  15. i know a few people who've imported cars, they sure as hell wern't paid to do it!!
  16. Well don't know about all grey imports but I know that that the frame and engine numbers on mine match up so it's certainly not a rebirth (doesn't appear to be a repaired wreck either). Some may be rebirths but I think there's just far too many for that to be the case with all of them.
  17. All good now, koma explained what he meant, i was thinking something different!
  18. Well that's another interesting topic... apparently one of the numbers is usually left blank so when the bike gets delivered it can have the matching number stamped. All of this is just rumour and heresay though... :wink: