Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Import compliance

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Roarin, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Does anyone know the rules & regs as to compliancing a personal import bike that was not officially imported into Oz? Any links would be cool. I have done a bit of a search but don't seem to be able to find any info. Cheers

2. Importing

Ring up Aust Custome and if you are in luck you MAY get someone who will help you - failing that call a Customs Agent who will have all the info you will need but maybe charge you for it.

3. I had a look down that path once and it was a dead end. I was looking at importing an NSR250 from Japan and then getting it ADR complianced. VicRoads were useless and the import bike shops (Sumoto & NSR Imports)don't want to know ya.

4. The vicroads website does actually have some information on importing vehicles:
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne...6EC900144E74-71FDD95D2B8B2764CA256EC900144E81

Note that new legislation was brought in recently that means that only a registered automotive workshop can bring in a vehicle that is less than 15 years old. It is possible to import a vehicle older than 15 years privately but it from the website it appears that if the paperwork isn't right first then you may be forced to scrap it or send it back to where it came from, it won't be allowed into the country. Not exactly the friendliest of processes.