Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

iMac problem for you IT experts

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Apr 8, 2013.

1. I have two white-case Intel iMacs that have both failed to proceed in exactly the same manner at exactly the same time! They are ex-school machines, and are (were?) running OS-X 10.5.8.
    I brought them home after they were removed from Asset Register, and my intention is (was?) to have them here for my grand-kids to play on.
    BOTH were running perfectly, until yesterday, when I had occasion to restart them both, then the 'fun' began.
    When turned on they both try to boot, and after doing nothing for a while they both reboot and start the process again.
    I have tried to hold down the shift key to invoke Safe Mode; nothing happens.
    I have removed the RAM chips and cleaned the connectors; nothing changes.
    I need a solution: I thought Macs just worked. I didn't know they would all REFUSE to work at the same time :LOL:

2. Anything to do with daylight savings? It's happened before from memory.
  3. Thats a very strange coincidence, which may, as 109er suggests may be clock related. do you have a boot disk?
  4. Wowsers I hadn't thought of that! I'll try to boot off the CD..
  5. Change the system time in the BIOS as a test
  6. Wasn't there a virus that was going to kick in on daylight savings end ?
  7. Reset PRAM and NVRAM:

1. Shut down your Mac
    2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
    5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
    6. Release the keys.

Restart in SafeMode:
    Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...
  8. That only works on power macs. Intel has a new way. Hold the power button down for ten seconds till it beeps.
  9. "Power buttonS" Wolve???
    Please explain this :)
  10. It's obviously an outrageous co-incidence for exactly the same thing to happen to two machines at exactly the same time. If they were unprotected PCs I'd definitely suspect a virus......
  11. I have deleted all the unhelpful posts, the mac v pc thing has been done to death.
    If you can't help then don't comment thanks. (please do not pm me you will have received an automated reason and I will not respond seeing as I have explained why here)
    Paul an imac has a power button somewhere on the side, it's recessed, you just have to find it :)
  12. It is worth noting that Macs can get infected with malware and there have been several large scale incidents in recent times. While it is less likely than on an alternative platform it is still possible, does still happen, and is worth eliminating as a possibility.
  13. Typo. Bloody iPhone autocorrect.
  14. Power BUTTON is on the back.
  15. Agreed, there are many possible causes but I'd have to look at them to run some tests before making any diagnosis.
  16. If they were from the school then you really needed to wipe the hard drive completely and reinstall the software from scratch. There must have been some residual server routine that was affected by the change in daylight savings.
  17. Agreed. I always wipe'em and reinstall before sending out.
  18. I wanted to nod both those posts, but couldn't :arghh:
    Thanks guys!
  19. Which is why I ask whether there was any chance of a power surge ? i.e electrical storm ?

But smee deleted it.

imo the leading contenders would be:

a) 109er's suggestion of DST related issue
    b) virus malware
    c) electrical issue
    d) hard drive failure (but both at the same time ?? symptomatic of other issue)

Are they plugged into the net when you start them. Try completely isolating them and restarting.

Did they previously have any disabling features installed/activated so that they wouldn't work if not on the school network ?

Are you sure they aren't booting and it's just the screens that are dead ?

If you can't boot in safe mode then thats suss. Booting from a CD should allow you to scan your hard drives using the disk utility.
  20. oh ffs it was a residual server issue from when it was attached to the school network.
    Nothing more nothing less.
    The hard drive should have been wiped completely clean and reinstalled from a disc and not from an image.
    I know this as this is what our techies do at work when they are asked to reimage a machine. If the image is a little bit fubared then it will have an effect sooner or later.
    A full disk wipe and reinstall from scratch will solve all residual issues.