Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'm taking the plunge...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sonja, Jul 4, 2006.

1. And getting my car licence.

Anyone here done that and had motorbike licence first?

If so, what tips can you give me?
  2. I did that - had a bike licence for 4 years before I had to get a car licence for work (company paid for it :LOL: ).

Probably no real advice I can give except that if you give the same attention to driving as you do to riding you'll have no trouble (unless you try and lane split :LOL: :LOL: )

3. All I know with you being in NSW you need to clock up a fair amount of driving time in ALL weather conditions. Keep a log book etc.

Being a mum with teenagers, watching there friends go through this its a much longer process then bike. LOL prob why my boys went straight to bike.

So good luck & it does pay to have both car & bike licence.

Thank god I dont have to go through all the BS you have to do know to get a car licence.
  4. Im doing the same thing! finally got my car ls, been getting driving lessons from some lovely netriders...
    good luck sonja :)
  5. Only tip i can think of is to make sure you don't lean into the corners during the test :grin:
  6. It'll make you a better driver for sure.

Riding a bike first really helps improve your concentration in a car I reckon
  7. awww... why not? :p

And Charmed, I'm ACT. I don't know if that makes it any different or not, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see...
  8. A few tips (From watching other's in your situation)
    -Be really aware of how much extra space you take up and don't try to merge into small gaps :facepalm:
    -Don't think just because you're in the centre of the road that your passenger is :LOL: (Think that you're iding in the right wheel track)
    -You have much worse acceleration so make sure you leave a bit more space when coming out of a side street.
  9. :bolt:

Have to agree on those points. You will feel like your driving a juggernaut but will still try to drive it like a bike :LOL: It feels freakin weird.
    take out an automatic first if you can, to get used to the perspective, remember youve been riding a manual all this time so youve already got changing gears down pat.

When you start on a manual, dont try to clutch using your hand! the first couple of times, I kept going on automatic and forgetting where the clutch was :LOL:
  10. This is exactly what I'm afraid of....
  11. Yeh . . . no need to lean in the corners :p
    :LOL: :LOL:
  12. Although you can, counter steering to change lanes is not a good look in your test. And depending on what car you are driving, donnot lane split. :grin: :grin:

It does take a while to master not concerntrating, spending 5 minutes changing radio stations while on the freeway, and blocking motorbikes while they attempt to filter past you at the lights.

13. you forgot to mention talking on your phone while eating a hamburger and fixing your make-up in the rear-view-mirror :grin:
  14. i would like to think mark doesnt wear makeup during 9 -5?
  15. I would like to think that mark doesn't drive during 9 -5 either :grin: :grin: