Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'm sure I'm not the only one...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by calv83luc, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Hi All,

This happen to me not too long ago, roughly two weeks ago...

It was a nice Sunday, so I decided to go for a ride with two friends, we decided to get lunch at the other end of town near the beach... I thought sweet, everything is going fine and smooth and was loving it... feeling a bit of thirst we rode to a coffee shop in South Melbourne and rode onto the path to park the bikes.

Not worrying as much, I decide to park near the parking pole, so basically the pole was on the right side near the rear end of my bike, maybe about 30cm apart from the back seat... so I hoped off on the left side... and we walked into the coffee shop to get coffee...

Feeling refreshed and great we decided to call it a day and ride back...
    As forgetful as I was I did the cowboy jump to swing my right leg over the bike... and bang... I felt the painfullest feeling ever... and because I had my helmet on, swearing and yelling sounded like baffle...

Both my mates looked at me, as they heard some mumbling noise and watching me rubbing my right shin... they were like what happened?

Lesson learned that day... no matter where you park, look and don't do the cowboy leg swing over... otherwise you'll end up getting a bruise!

The bruise is still there I tell ya!!!

2. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oh that sucks

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Really sucks. Still it could have been worse... bang your shin, grab the bars for balance and have the bike fall on your left leg....
  3. Time to get some knee and shin armour. :LOL:
  4. yeah dude, wear your boots.
  5. hahahaha lesson learnt indeed!

One of the things they tought us in the L's course was to always look back before you swing your leg over.

They told us of 3 cases that they know of that people have died by not doing so.

Even in the garage or in the parking lot, i always have a look back, make it a habbit and save yourself some pain and maybe your life.

Guess you learnt that the hard way tho lol.
  6. be aware of your surroundings grasshopper!!
  7. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Take it easy... you'll probably need you legs in the future :LOL:
  8. Not showing off for our friends were we? :p :LOL:

One more (painful) lesson learned on the path to motorcycling nirvana :).
  9. I went to swing my leg over the other day, did the headcheck they recommend in the training course, and buried my shin into the corner of the footrest. Big lump, bruised...even broke the skin.
  10. Boots people, oh and :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. Yeah, when I was young I often got bruises trying to get my leg over... :)
  12. Black eyes don't count mate :grin:
  13. I was wearing a pair of 'Set Up' bike boots at the time.
  14. Haha yea I was gonna say if you had boots that went up to your knees (or thereabouts), you'd be alright. Not cheap stuff, but you got love the armour though. :)

Since we're on the subject of swinging the leg over, if you have a boot that's accessed with your ignition key, always pull the key out after you've opened your boot. Don't want to accidentally shear it off now! (I've come close 2 times now, and as a result I always carry a spare in my jacket).
  15. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: to funny mate , be carefull next time
  16. hahaha

The funniest part was when you have your helmet on, and you talk, no one really knows or can hear you properly but yourself...

So my mates are looking at me watching me going, kasdfifnsdaknfsaofsofinsnfsadfn asjfnsdjnf dsnfksandf ksdnfosaufo... yeah... exactly... what the...

and I looked like a crazy monkey pointing at the pole and my shin... hahaha

Anyways peeps, it's my birthday today! Woot!

Turning 24! Woot!

I'm going to have drinks at Bambu on Flinders lane, between Exhibition street and Russell street. No riding tonight that's for sure!

and for those who copped it... hahahaha I know how you feel...
    hahaha but still going to laugh at you... hahahaha