Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'm on the Einstein Factor!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by QuarterWit, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Filming on the 6th of february.

So if anybody here wants to test me on military small arms, 1939-1945 try me.

It was kind of fun going for the audition process, where a producer basically asks you as many questions as possible on the one chain of discussion...

"What was the standard sidearm of the US during WW2?"
    "Colt 1911a1"
    "How many rounds did it hold?"
    "What calibre?"
    ".45 ACP"
    "What does ACP stand for?"
    "Automatic Colt Pistol"

Etc. The whole process was actually pretty fun, and they stumped me on a few questions that were bloody good, but I'd never have got it. "How many litres of water did the jacket of a Vickers gun hold?" "What was the muzzle velocity of the .38 Webley?" etc.

Anyway, if anyone has some knowledge on obscure topics it's pretty fun going for the interview. Worth checking out!

And now, you get to all see me in super hi-def as I fail spectacularily in front of the nation.
  2. What calibre was the Owen gun again ????
  3. Well at first it was in .22 when Evelyn Owen built it.

Then the munitions board built prototypes in 9mm Para, .38 and .45 (I think) They squabbled amongst themselves for ages before the government stepped in and decided on 9mm for them.

(Not using wiki here, so my facts might be a little off)
  4. "using wiki here, so my facts might be a little off"
  5. Another NR was on it last year. Can't remember who.
  6. wasn't it doonx :?
  7. What was the topic ?

Modern Dance of the 20th Century ?
  8. KISS
  9. Yeah Stewy, It was Doonx. His specialty was "Kiss"

If I was him, I'd have kept it quiet.
  10. Questions of WW2 small arms? Okay, here's one - what was unusual about the ammunition of the German SDK carbine that made it more lethal?
  11. I only have one question - Are you going to use your NR nick on the show like Doonx did?
  12. Do you know when it will air?
  13. I heard that it was supposed to contain cyanide or something like that?

Don't know if it's true or not. Interesting concept anyway?

And nah, no idea of airing dates. And I'll be using my real name.
  14. I'd be most happy to watch your intense blitzing of all the questions.
    Let us know the airing date once you have been informed of it.

Oh btw, I thought the original Colt 1911 held only 7 rounds? Not so?
  15. Correct. Cyanide filled rounds have been used since WW2 so no reason to doubt that the Germans were using it - they certainly had no shortage of sodium cyanide (also known as Zyklon 8).
    About half a tic-tac worth would be enough to be instantly lethal, just in case the bullet wound itself wasn't enough. Nasty, but still not quite as bad as the Ricin filled bullets/pellets used by the KGB post WW2 :shock:.
  16. Well spotted! One in the chamber at a push :wink:

I really do have to brush up on my pistol knowledge, as well as Japanese and Italian firearms. Everything else I should be okay at. No date for the screening yet, methinks I'll get flogged.

I've heard of the Ricin filled stuff before, but not cyanide. Where there's a will, there's a way...
  17. Yep. Does kinda make you worry about what sort of stuff they might have come up with since then that's not known to the general public......
  18. Cyanide bullets...

Hey, oh knowledgable ones - in Jaws when he takes the hollow-point bullets, drips cyanide into the cavity then covers with wax to seal; is that the legit way to cyanide tip bullets or is it BS?
    Would the wax be ripped off in flight?... or even if it was, does inertia and the cavity make so it doesn't matter [the cyanide can't escape]?

Also, bonus trivia on the subject of chemical weapons; BASF chemicals are very active in the concrete form and treatment industry. We owe the sturdiness of a LOT of our buildings, cities and homes to their fine work.
    BASF were part of the I.G. Farben group which invented and supplied Zyklon B to the Nazis.
  19. Might work, but it's not the best way of doing it. The melting point of sodium cyanide is 563 degrees, more than 200 degrees above the melting point of lead. Would be far easier to just form the lead bullet around a solid NaCN or KCN core - it also avoids the need to dilute the cyanide in solution.

And on the topic of BASF we also owe a lot of our modern understanding of ventilation design (ie airconditioner systems in large buildings, underground mining, etc.) on their work into the most efficient means of displacing hydrogen cyanide.
  20. Did anyone watch 1/4Wit's 20mins of fame tonight ???? :grin: