Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'm new and apparently crazy

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by thethomasgeorge, Oct 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. So, I just got my L's, and going for the P's test in December. I got a cb125e and have just ordered a sports exhaust to help with what I'm about to do.

In 5 weeks, I'm taking it on a 1500kms ride around the coast of Oz and then back to Sydney. All in about 10 days. The few people I've asked about it have all indicated that the bike I'm doing it on will be bad for it. However, if I stay off the highways, I reckon I'll do alright. Also I've taken my cb125e up to 100 (for around 30 minutes on the M5) and it did it alright. Vibration wasn't too bad. I figure the ride will be even easier when my exhaust arrives and I can fit it.

Ergh, maybe I do have a death wish. I'm not really fussed either way, I'll be dead before I'm 40 (medical crap) so why not live for the day.

Day one I'm doing 450ks and Staying in Merrimbula for a bit, then Lakes Entrance and next Phillip Island. I haven't planned on the return leg yet, but figure I'll go through Canberra or through the blue mountains.

• Like Like x 3
  2. People have done it on posties

3. Hahaha, go for it man! Write a blog and get it out there in the public, your success will show people what the little bikes are capable of!

A suggestion I will make would be to get a product called 'Grip Puppies'. You might not think the vibrations are too bad for 30 minutes, well, tell us that after you have ridden the bike for 2 hours straight... The grip puppies will really help keep your hands from going numb.

Yeah, if people can do this on posties http://www.postiebikechallenge.org/the_challenge.htm
    you can do what you want to do on your CB125e.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome, do it mate, mate and I did a 10,000+km trip round half of the country and halfway down Thunderbolts Way ran into half a dozen guys on fully loaded CT110's, if they can do it then so can you!(y)

5. I searched the Far Riders list recently and there are two blokes that has done FRs on CT110 posties. Almost anything is possible if you're crazy enough.

6. I've done a 2000km (ish) trip on my cb125e in January this year. It was awesome fun and I just saw what I wanted to in NSW. If you plan on taking back roads down the coast, plan on doing more than 1500kms. I went from Newcastle, around the Blue Mountains, Lithgow, Bathurst, Oberon, Canberra and back again over 5 days and cracked 2000km. It's amazing what you'll see down little roads that you just have to check out.

I've got a sh!t load of photos I still haven't uploaded too.

My tips - get tubeless tyres. They really reduce the vibration, but do increase the risk of punctures. They're also easier to repair.

Get soft grips, or foam over grips- again for the vibration.

Get a windscreen, a tall one - rain is a real problem because the tank is so narrow, and this time of year all sorts of things will fly into you. Bugs, insects, gravel, snakes thrown up by cars in front (I assume, it's never happened to me).

You won't need a spare fuel tank. If you keep your speed to 80ish you can get 400kms+ from the 13L.

Fit a HID headlight. I'm sure you already know, the 125's light is really weak, but this a million times more important on country roads. Not just for other road users but road contamination, gravel leaf litter, wildlife etc. A CBE hit and killed a person asleep on the road in Alice Springs earlier in the year (around New Years) because they couldn't see the person.

DIRT ROADS ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND. Seriously. Any kind of loose surface and the back wheel of the 125 just fishtails wildly. If you can get a wider back tyre, that might help.

Get some kind of national road side assistance. 125's can use a surprising amount of oil, and the chain needs maintenance regularly, so do the brakes. Even if you're confident of taking care of it yourself, you don't want to get stuck somewhere because the engine has overheated or the oil has run dry. Also, get contact information for good mechanics and Honda dealers on your preferred route.

ALWAYS KEEP YOUR PHONE CHARGED. Solar chargers can be bought online and I strap a freeloader pro to my pillion seat for long trips. This year is going to be awful for fires, so making sure you can receive emergency warnings is important. Especially if your a riding alone.

Are you riding alone? Can you pick up ride buddies along the way? I'll volunteer to go as far south as the Vic border depending on the route. I'll even buddy a 125!

Be prepared to stop before you're planned over night stay. Although you can travel a long way on a 125, you can become fatigued riding them really quickly. The vibration, the set up, the height of the foot pegs, it's all built for short commutes and isn't really good for a body for more than a few hours at a time.

Take a bike cover. No really. Take a bike cover. Bats, birds, rain, dew, etc will all have a party on your bike over night. Also, spiders like to hide in the tiny gap between the seat and the tank.

The 125 shouldn't really be doing 90+ for any great amount of time because it really wears on engine. Try to keep it about 80 when you can.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. You won't be overtaking too often I guess :) But I 'spose if you get stuck behind a particularly slow truck or grey nomad for too long it might give you a good excuse to take a break.

I'm in Candelo (about 27 km NW of Merimbula). If you want help with the local roads, give me a shout.

Cheers

8. you'll have a great time, take your time, remember your limits and don't overtake any road trains:D

9. That sounds absolutely awesome!
    Recently watched 'Long Way Round' and any amount of length of extended trip should be extremely rewarding of an experience.

How are you going about luggage, I can only assume you would have very limited means to carry clothes/basic tools/etc? You staying under a roof at nights or doing any camping?

All the very best mate, most definitely blog this!

Is this a particular case with all smaller cc bikes and does it proportionally change as cc raises (say 600cc uses less than 250cc)? What also is the reason behind more regular maintenance required for chain and brakes?

Cheers

10. Surprised no-one has said it ... 1500kms over 10 days = 150 km/day avge. Thats doable. Doing over that as you plan gives you days here and there to relax and recover, especially if the 125's ergos aren't, errr, quite perfect for you. You wont even need to ride at night.

Doubt the exhaust will do much for you but its all good fun. I'd try to pack minimally and keep weight down for both handling/speed and fuel usage.

Other important things are
    a) dont tie yourself too tightly timewise and
    b) the only truly mandatory thing you must pack is a sense of humour!

Should you do it? It'll be a hoot. You bet!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I only voted no because I have a bigger bike I can do a trip on. Go for it, you'll enjoy it. doesn't matter what you ride. Head the advice from earleir replies. (Had a snake thrown at be by a truck that ran over it, fortunately it missed me, was pretty flat too as it flew through the air. (Amazing what you remember in hindsight). Remeber cars can run over things that bikes can't so leave a gap when following traffic. Remember to have fun.

12. Sieze the day mate. Live it, love it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Go for it mate!
    If my wife's little Aprilia RS4 can handle what i put it through in a single day, then i'm guessing you'll have no problems.
    Highways are fine at speed limits, and if you do get stuck behind something, just roll with it, smile and most importantly, enjoy yourself!(y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Do it.

Keep of the major freeways and highways as much as possible.

Enjoy yourself.

15. I voted No, I have a Blackbird to cruise on,

Get out there and do it, You will love it, The size doesn't matter, The experience does,

16. Why not, go for it and good luck, just because its a small bike don't mean it can not be done wishing the very best of luck and safe riding.

17. This is just my experience with my CB125E.

18. This actually happens?? :eek:

19. Hmmm. Narrow tyres are usually better on dirt roads, so I'm not sure what was going on here. At a guess, I'd say rear damping and/or something to do with the load being carried.

The right tyres help of course.

20. nobby tyres similar to that equipped on a ct110 would have helped, but tiny tiny road tyres are not so great. again, my experience on a CB125E. Also, my experience as a novice rider on a CB125E on a dirt road I was expecting to be sealed. I've never met sand/gravel/loose rocks/dirt/mud one a 125 that I didn't curse vehemently.