Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'm in tears and severe pain...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Loz, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ...From laughing so hard. Roarin put me onto this book, Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome, which was written in eighteen-ninety something and must go down as the only book since the Red Dwarf one to make me cry with laughter page after page. It's getting difficult to continue because I keep shrieking so loud I scare myself.

Being well and truly out of copyright, it's free to read on the Web, so if you're looking for a book, or some exhaustive diaphragm exercise, gedditintaya:

(I make this recommendation after only 32 pages)

2. An all-time classic of English Literature; we studied at school :LOL:.
  3. Agreed, it's brilliant. It had a similar effect on me when I first read it 25 years ago. There is a chapter later in the book where JKJ gets a bit mawkishly sentimental but, if you read up a bit about his background and, in particular, his early life, it's not entirely surprising.

There is a (marginally) less brilliant sequel describing a bicycle tour of Germany in the early 1890s. Lots of offensive (but very funny) racial stereotyping and dwelling on the Teutonic love of Rules.
  4. Now that I've followed the link, I find it does point to the sequel "Three Men on the Bummel". So where's "Three Men in a Boat" gone?
  5. Good so far, cheers :)
  6. When i opened the off-topic stuff forum, i see 2 threads started by you - "No sex for you. Two years." and "I'm in tears and severe pain..."

Glad to know that its not what i feared :LOL: :LOL: :p
  7. I just knew that someone would link them, in their mind.
  8. One thing I did forget to tell you Loz -the first time I read it I was recovering from busted ribs and internal bruising. Believe me I know what you mean about tears and pain. Talk about a masochism :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  9. Jesus christ man, reading that book with busted ribs sounds like some sort of initiation test for the SAS.