Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Im going to assume they are all out to kill me!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by chicken78, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Picked up the new bike from staffords on thurs night, very excited. Took bike home in ute, unloaded and went for a ride.

Headed out just into a quiet estate to get familiar with the bike, I hadnt even got 200m and I was being tailgated by a blonde bird, in her breeder bus, on the batphone (to translate - blonde female, with many kids driving people mover with iPhone plannig next pedicure) less than impressed, scared the crap out of me, and i dont scare easy.

Then Mr "Imsocool" in his fully schick turbo bommodore decides it would be funny to pull out at an intersection, nice move mongo man!

Apart from a few teething issues, the bikes great, I love it, just getting familiar, building confidence and learning number one rule # They are all out kill you, they look at you, and they still dont see you. People surrounded by large metal objects on wheels need to be treated with complete stupidity. It has been an eye opener.

2. on a bike - you're invisible. no one sees you.

3. I know what you mean!

It's bad enough they pull out but when they then stop right in front of you like wtf!

Oh here's someone on a bike i don't need to give way, hell, I'll just stop right in front of them and then decide my next stupid move!

4. #4 lowercase, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    it's because of something simple:

[media=youtube]Ahg6qcgoay4[/media]

It applies to motorcycles too.

It's because car drivers look for cars - motorcycles aren't as popular, obviously. It's like when you're looking for something, and you look at it 20 times, but don't see it, cause that's not where it's supposed to be, so your mind doesn't register it.

5. Ahhh motorcycling, scary and wonderful at the same time....

6. welcome to motorcycling Katie, and the gov think we are the bad ones

and just for future reference, posts like these belong here . Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent

7. Welcome to the party, Katie. This is what it's like. Having said that, it's also still a lot of fun. If it wasn't, you wouldn't do it.

In 32+ years of road riding, I've had a number of accidents, but the really bad ones have involved collisions with other vehicles. One involved an old bloke in a landrover, and I mean he was about 80, who slowed down to walking pace on the highway, for about 2km, and eventually turned into his own property without any regard for what other traffic might be doing, one involved a lady taking her kids to school, and one involved an old lady, mid 60s, who was trying to get to her daughter's house in the pre-dawn darkness, and missed it. In the case of both the women, they looked right at me, and them turned into me. They were looking for a car, and didn't see one.

8. translation was'nt neccessary, welcome to your new tribe girlfriend

9. #9 UpOn2, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Wow did I not notice that moonwalking bear, despite how bad his skills were! ;)

10. For every near miss you have, there are a bunch of great times you'll have on the bike - a fair exchange in my mind.

Keep your eyes open and ride safe - ATGATT

11. why you not on a lams approved bike, UpOn2?

12. It's not so much "ride like their out to kill you" Ride like they cant see you. Don't go out and get agro on a bike. The sheer physic's of it mean you will not have fun.
    @ 100kmp/h you are crossing the ground at a rate above 40m per second. Anything can block you for an instant from a car driver. It takes a few stupid mistakes for an accident to happen. A few over a short period of time. And the accident will happen in an instant.
    If you are on your game. Are in the most visible spot to be in, and are prepared for the other guys mistakes. Then there is one less mistake going to happen and less chance of an accident.
    Don't get mad at them. Get proud of yourself for picking them out well before they had a chance to be human in front of you. If you know what I mean.
    That's what becoming a good rider is about. To finish first. First you have to finish.

13. I bought the bike despite not being LAMS because there is the SV650SU which IS LAMS approved, so I thought I could buck the system despite it being a SV650SI!

It turns out that LAMS is written on the Rego label, this I didn't know and I'm not a very good bullshitter...

Does that explain it enough?

Also LAMS bikes are wayyyyy to slow and I didn't want to waste my money on something I won't enjoy!

Even tho I'm a beginner, I believe that ample power is needed to get out of certain situations and avoid accidents. I'm just gonna have to wait my 5/6 months till I'm eligible to go for my R's! :(

14. @ UpOn2 - while I pretty much agree with you, you do realise that if you get pulled over and checked, you will be fined for being unlicensed, and you'll probably lose enough points to have your L / P suspended for 3 months? You do realise that if some fool cleans you up, and he/she is completely in the wrong vis a vis road rules, you still may not get any compo or insurance because you were not riding legally?

All I'm saying is that you are taking a risk, and that if anything bad happens at all, you're going to be screwed.

Suppose you T-bone a car pulling out from the right-hand side, and injure the passenger. Will compulsory third party cover that passenger's medical or not? You're not a licensed driver/rider for that vehicle, so are they obliged to pay? Suppose they do, and then take you to court to recompense them for their million dollar payout? The driver of the car was at fault - ah, but so what? You were unlicensed.

I'm not saying don't do it - I'm saying know the risk you're taking, and don't biatch if it all falls on you like a ton of bricks.

15. Kneedragon,

Yeah man I completley understand your point and I HAVE been caught riding it!

I got done for 16 k over at the same time on Monday just gone so I now choose the 1 point for 1 year good behaviour instead of 3 months suspension as I need my license to get to work!

I won't be riding my bike at all other than just down the backstreet once a month to keep it fresh! So yeah I basically won't be riding until I get my full R!

:(

16. the lams bikes aren't that slow, dude. all the lams bikes do the speed limits pretty much - GS500 can do up to 180 i've heard, well over the speed limits - they don't struggle, is all i'm saying

17. You've got the right philosophy Katie. I am constantly thinking on the freeway "Which one of you crackers is going to pull out in front of me?"

They are dumb and blind, but their carelessness is also somewhat predictable. You just need to keep thinking a step ahead and planning your escape route, e.g. if this person slams on the brakes now, where will I go? If that person changes lanes or pulls out from that side street, where will I go?

The key thing is to know what you're going to do, and then DO IT when needed - i.e. swerve, slow down, do an emergency stop, sound you horn - whatever is apropriate in the circumstances. According to my instructor at DECA, some accidents occur simply because the rider ~did nothing~ when confronted with an emergency situation.

Keep plenty of space in front of you, anticipate what's coming up and slow down early, and be prepared to react when the situation calls for it, and you will be OK.

Finally, Haksu is spot on - for all of the irritations of other road users, being on the bike is still amazing and awesome.

:)

KN

18. Heh, maybe downhill with a gale blowing up your arse!

But they do go into licence losing territory, that's for sure.

19. Haha @ Mitch!

It's not the top speed that I'm concerned with that much, it's how quickly it can get there!

If a truck starts to merge on my lane and I'm 2 metres behind the cab with a car behind me at the rear of the tray!

On the GS500 by the time I drop 2/3 gears and hold it wide open with my head behind the windscreen I'll become roadkill!

20. UpOn2 ... I rode around Sydney with some of the worst drivers you can come across for 3 years on a lams bike. I never couldn't get out of the situations - er-5 - 500 kawasaki.

It's how you ride - the bike has the power - maybe you just don't know how to use it?

My kawasaki got to 170+ (on a straight, not downhill)