Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'm checking the car soon as I get home!

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by pringa8, Oct 22, 2007.

1. aVffhz0.

Extract from email:

I have been driving (legally) for over a decade. One would thinkI would have noticed the little secret on my dash that was staring meright in the face the whole time.I didn't and I bet you probably haven't either.Quick question, what side of your car is your gas tank? If youare anything like me, you probably can't remember right away. My solution is to uncomfortably stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look. If you don't do this in your own car you definitely have done it in a borrowed or rental car.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my littlesecret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of uncomfort or injury.

If you look at your gas guage, you will see a small icon of agas pump. The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the pump. If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo above). It is that simple!

I don't know how you feel right now but when I found out thismorning I felt cheated!

Why don't the dealers share such important information with carbuyers? I don't understand why this isn't in the drivers manual? I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been too or know has even thought of mentioning this to me? The only possible explanation can be that all these people probably don't even know!

Go out and share the worlds best kept auto secret with your friends as this is information is way too important to be keptsecret.

2. Mine (BA Falcon) has the hose on the wrong side on the picture to the actual car, BUT, has an arrow pointing to the side where the filler is. Never noticed it before.

3. Doesn't match on my Mazda

4. Doesn't match on my Toyota or my Alfa Romeo.

5. no match here.

Your theory blows.

6. My Mazda used to have an arrow, have to check my Honda when I get home.

7. GS,

Unfortunately you have it all wrong. On most cars nowaday, just like in the picture on the right hand side, next to the petrol bowser, you have an arrow pointing to the side of the car that the petrol cap is on.

So in that pic the bowser is on the left hand side of the car as you are sitting in it.

It has been like that on the last 4 cars I have owned.

8. God damn it, so it IS a load of sh!t! Thanks for checking everyone!

Why do people make up email spam bullsh!t like this??? Are they bored?? Have no lives??

9. Speaking of petrol caps, has anyone tried to unlock the flap on a VE Commodore yet.

I spent about two minutes searching for the unlock button on a VE SS I was using at the Sandown 500 last month and eventually broke every blokey rule and fished the user manual out of the glovebox to work it out.

If you know the answer just say you do but don't spoil the fun for everyone else by giving away the secret :wink:

I will say it's very clever.

10. so clever in fact, makes a game of Hide & Seek while you're sitting in the drivers seat !

11. The fuel filler is normally on the opposite side of the car to the exhaust pipe.

*Normally = most of the time. Dual exhausts etc may invalidate this theory.

12. BS

see the pic on the right , the pump has an arrow that points left , left is where the fuel cap is

13. If there is an arrow next to the bowser icon, like the 2nd pic in the posted example: that arrow indicates the side of the car the fuel-cap is on.

The location of the bowser handle in the icon has nothing to do with it.

Look for an arrow only.
    No arrow: your car doesn't tell you and you just have to learn.

[most Toyotas will have an arrow]

14. Hmm i haven't driven a VE yet, but is is anything like the filler cap on audi's? Can't really reveal anymore without spoiling it. If it is, yes it is clever. Oh and as for which side the petrol cap is on i say bring back the petrol cap hidden behind the flip down numberplate like on old xd falcons and toranas and valiants and stuff. Now that was classy :cool:

15. Here in Australia the Commodores & Falcons have the filler caps on opposite sides to each other so that in the queue at the servo 50% of the cars go down side of the pumps and the other 50% go the other side of the pumps.

That's the theory anyway, trying to better use the space at the servo's..

16. Nah, my theory is that the bogans are tricked into thinking the commodore is not just a re-badged falcon cause the petrol pumps are different! :LOL:

17. Awwww, c'mon, tell us.
    Some of us don't have access to a VE to have a look in.
    I wanna know what makes it clever.

PM me with the cleverness if you don't want to spoil the secret in this thread.

Cheers. :)

18. I was told a variation on that theory, dunno if its any more accurate though. Apparently the way the handle points tells you if the designer was gay or hetero. :p

19. I'd like to know the secret too! I don't have access to that type of car.. PM me :D

20.  Top