Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'm all cocky.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by gus_man, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Hey guys i've been riding for about 4-5 months now and have been working hard that whole time to gain the best control of my bike (CBR250RR, i know, i know).

I've been lucky enough to have lots of friends help me with advice, as well as their parents who have been riding for 40+ years. This has been invaluable.
    Couple that with reading TOTW 2 and watching the DVD about 10 times, which isnt easy with that acting...(the guy on the repsol can pull the most spastic faces) and i'm pretty fast.

Chicken strips are gone bar bout 1/2 a cm (hardcore elephant for anyone thats read the thread). I'm confident riding around town, through twisties, anywhere really. I can feel myself getting too cocky at times because I feel like i've mastered it, when really i've only just begun, kind of hard to explain I realise im cocky but not in the moment if that makes sense. This cockiness I feel could be my undoing if I cant control it.

So i was thinking about taking the bike to the track, in an effort to put things in perspective. Ie, being on a track with guys who will run rings around me might make that voice of reason a little louder in my head. Another thing, and this may sound weird but I wouldnt mind coming off at the track, i've never come off and never dropped my bike and kinda just want to do it and get it out of the way to see what it's like.

So all in all, how can I SAFELY give myself a wake up call, or bring myself to realise im not as good as I think? Or do you have any tips for keeping your head in the right place while riding?
  2. Instead of just doing a track day, book yourself in for a stay upright andvanced course or california superbike school, they will set u right
  3. Watch a MotoGP. Especially the part where they fall off. Paid professionals. Works for me :D.
  4. ...a nice, slow, drop of the blasted bike worked wonders for me!!! ](*,)

Maybe need to remember that each and every ride presents a learning experience.
  5. Mind over matter. Don't let the bike be in control of you but rather the other way around.
  6. Definitely get yourself to a trackday. Even in the slow group there will be quicker riders than you. CBR250's are great little bikes to start out on the track with. More then likely as well, you'll become addicted to track riding.

I started on the track about 2 years ago on a CBR250. It did my riding a world of good. if you've still got 1/2 a cm of untouched tyre then you still have quite a bit of lean angle left. When you go out on the track don't worry about being the quickest, but concentrate on your riding technique. Pace will come naturally if your technique is solid.

Also, because I like photo's of myself so much, here is an oldie of me.

7. Holy shit that bike looks small.
  8. that's a really really good question gus-man.

we all have that cockyness deep down, well guys on motorbikes do anyway...you're aware of it, so that's half the battle...i think i understand where you're comming from about 'wanting to come of'....some of us really only learn a lesson if we learn it the hard way.
    i'm sure you''ll find an avenue to pursue those thrills in a safer controlled enviroment...track racing as mentioned...or maybe a dirt bike you can thrash around the bush.

on public roads in traffic, keeping the cockyness under controll... i think that's always like an on-going battle with yourself...the traffic is so aggressive and the temptation to fight that with aggressive riding is always there...your buttons are always being pushed if you know what i mean...but then, survival = 100% defensive riding.

so the only answer i can offer is strong self discipline...you need to set yourself firm rules, limmits about how you are allowed to ride the bike on public roads...you need to create your own code of conduct and respect it, treat it as gospell, never break it.
    you base that code on safe riding stategies, which are essentially based on statistics for scenarios that commonly cause motorbike accidents...you include in that code mistakes you've learnt from that caused near misses.

some examples of my own code for public roads:
    > i won't split moving traffic.. the opportunity constantly crops up, could easilly do it...but then i'd be breaking my own code...and i can't do that because i created the code to keep me alive.
    > last christmas break up at work, couple of brewskies, time to go home...encouraged by colleages to wheelie the bike down the street...wanted to for sure...bummer i'm not allowed to do that either, it's in the code.

the good news is, they're your own rules.
  9. It seems to me that you are aware of the dangers that over-confidence can bring and that's the the most important step in making sure that it doesn't take over your riding. I agree with the replies about Stay Upright and other similar courses and I also agree with those who have said that doing a few track days can certainly broaden your horizons.

Hopefully, one day, you'll be able to look back one day on 40+ years of riding like your mate's parents.
  10. go to superbike school (expensive but really good, you already know the benefits of Keith Code). Then go to a track day.

I see plenty of P platers often on cbr250s in the slow group. So you won't be alone. The slow group is slow, more of a sunday ride pace so you will be right. You won't need tyre warmers and all that jazz, just make sure your tyres have enough meat and are still soft, and you have meat left on your brake pads.

Do suggest getting good gear, you will be addicted to the track so you will use it for a long time. Get a back protector and chest guard too.

Oh yeah, not falling off is a good thing!
  11. I like your attitude Gus-man. You're obviously thinking about things and not taking them for granted.
    That comment about not minding if you crash at the track , though... am I right in guessing you're a young guy? If so, that's kinda an indication of immortality syndrome. You inherently believe you will come through with just a scrape or two.
    Me, when I think about crashing (track or road), i feel the pain of broken bones, ripped ligaments, bruised organs. Even though it's never happened to me. That's because I'm old and mortal now.
    Trust me you don't want to crash, ever. You need a little bit of fear to keep you alive, and if you don't feel it - just pretend until you do (it'll come with age).

What the track will hopefully teach you is that you are not on the pace of the quick guys, but also what to do to get up there safely. It'll might make you more relaxed on the road, too.
  12. Thanks guy there's alot of really good advice in those posts. I was a little nervous about posting that because I didnt think it really would make sense to anyone else haha. Hopefully other people can take something away from this thread also, there seems to be heaps of questions concerning really new riders but not many regarding the progression of learning after you have the basics down so this is really helpful to myself.
    @titus: Yeah im 23 so I guess thats young and i agree about the immortality syndrome.
    I had a browse of some superbike schools and i'm so pumped to do that.
    My gear is all top notch already, just need to buy some leather pants to zip to my jacket and ill be off to the track after superbike school.
    Seems like the safest and smartest way to progress my riding.
  13. yeah get to a trackday.
  14. please get a back protector (full size) for the track. If you have a high speed accident it'll become clear why. You don't want to end up like Wayne Rainey.
  15. I agree with people saying do a trackday. I did them on my LAMS bike and did the world of good. Sounds like perfect timing for you to do one soon.
  16. Great replies in this thread!

Everything I would have suggested has been covered. Superbike school is awesome and although you don't want to crash ever, if it has to happen somewhere, you would rather it be on a closed circuit than the road.

I have come off doing between 130-150 k's an hour at the moment I came unstuck (happened on the corner exit) and I came out unscathed. However I do remember as I got launched into the air thinking "fark highsides are how you break bones!". I landed on my ass (which hurt) and just slid for ages, did a couple of barrel rolls when I thought i'd stopped then did the bolt to for the barrier as soon as I was up.

Needless to say I was 21 and very lucky. Most crashes are not that clean.