Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'm a scared new rider...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by CarlU, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Ok, so I'm not a bad ass rebel rider like you but give us a fair go... lol

I've ridden a motorbike about 3 times, I'm planning to get a learners licence by Feb next yr since I will need to ride 25km to get to school.

Except I'm really friggen scared by all the whole talk like "Doctors call bike riders organ donars" and "You are 20x more likely to have an accident in a bike" It doesn't do the confidence any good.

I'd just like to know for sure how risky it is. I'm not the kind of guy that is in to going as fast as possible, I think I'm pretty cautious. I only plan to go 50-60 kmph.

The things that worries me are the factors which are out of my control such as hitting a rock on a gravel road and flying into a tree or having a car tailgate me, that would be really frightening on a bike.

I'm not asking you to lie and tell me what I want to hear, I'd just like to know the truth from experienced riders.

2. Riding does have it's risks but so does everything in life!

You can minimise the risks by the way you ride, assume that everyone else will do the wrong thing & then you won't be surprised when they do!

Take baby steps, small rides to start with to build your confidence. Aim to be able to keep up with other traffic or you could become your own worst enemy!

Good luck, relax & enjoy the ride!
  3. don't worry you will never have a crash in a bike, unless your stewart little and fit in the fuel tank or under the seat :LOL:

your no more likely to have a crash on a bike then in a car if you ride to the conditions, maintain buffer zones, and maximise your alertness in thinking about what others around you might be about to do.

the 3 crashes i have had, i have been able to pick up the bike and continue riding, and they have been because of situtaions i have put myself in.
  4. Don't know about that one, its supposed to be in an accident its 20 times more likely to be fatal.

I've had two 'offs', both were low speed so nothing a bandaid didn't fix. Wearing the right gear minimises damage in the event of crash, and proper training minimises the chances of a crash.
  5. it was a Mr Men one and your mummuy put it on for you wasn't it phiz? :LOL:
  6. Actually,
    is a factor entirely in your control. Tailgating is harder to control, but when it does occur it's usually not too hard to 'fix' (no, not by twisting the throttle harder).

Even in two-vehicle accidents, which are not the majority of accidents for motorcycles, the motorcyclist is usually partially at fault... if not completely at fault. That is to say, something they did was a factor in why the crash occured.

The upside of this is, it means you can do things to avoid them or prevent them occuring at all.

Riding to the conditions (ie: not going so fast that you can't see a hazard AND have time to avoid it, not going so fast that you have no safety margins) greatly reduces your risks.

Good roadcraft (making sure you are in a position to be seen, and putting yourself in the shoes of other drivers to pre-empt what they might be about to do or what they might want to do) helps a lot for traffic riding, too. Good roadcraft can greatly reduce the chance of a 'SMIDSY'.

Robsalvv has a good link in his signature about "reducing the odds" - Lots of good ways to reduce the probability that you'll end up on the wrong side of the crash statistics. :)
  7. Your caution is commendable, but your stats are wrong. You're not 20 times more likely to have an accident on a bike than in a car, but if you DO have an accident, you are 18 times more likely to be injured. So, don't have an accident.

I see you're in Parkes, and I guess in the suburbs thereof? Country suburban roads are a lot less stressful than city suburban roads; you'll be fine.

If you REALLY want to avoid danger, don't go to bed; more people die in bed than in any other place :LOL:.
  8. Get excited by the idea of challenging yourself to do something with an inherent risk. Then learn as much as you can to minimise those risks.

I guarantee you after a few months of seeing Parkes from inside a helmet, you'll be hooked and developing a thirst for better knowledge of all things bike related.

Besides you already know you're gunna do it, so , go do it :D
  9. 20 times more likely to have an accident? Pfft, you're 20 times more likely TO DIE! :twisted:

... on the other hand, that 20x figure is only based off 40 or so deaths in the entire of NSW. Believe it or not, motorcycling is less dangerous than playing Russian roulette.

Riding is more dangerous than driving a car. Even if you had the greatest roadcraft in the world, using that roadcraft in a car instead of a bike would still make you safer. On the other hand, if you were driving a car you'd be bored stiff.

Essentially, it's up to you to determine whether you want to ride a bike bad enough to take the extra risk. Keep in mind that it's just an extra risk though - the majority of people who ride a motorcycle don't die (of motorcycle related injuries :roll:), otherwise there'd be far fewer members on this forum.
  10. http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/011341143X/?tag=netrider-20

books can't replace experience. To get experience you need to start off with enough confidence to keep yourself safe. Feels like a contradiction, and to a certain degree, it is.

All bikers have a fear of injury or death. If they don't then they should...fear keeps you alive. It's what it's there for...

Wear all the gear. There are variables out there that might catch you, so you owe it to yourself, and those around you, to lessen the odds of injury.

Don't get bullied into riding quicker than you are comfortable with. There's a lot of biker bullshit out there.

Jumping straight on a Gsxr or a cbr will just be an exercise in too much power, an extreme riding position and frustration. Take your time.

Read all the bike mags about counter-steering, suspension, front braking etc and drive like you would a car, ie don't get too excited by what a motorbike can do , ie filter, accelerate hard, and you'll be as safe as you can.

end of lecture ;)

ps. i love my bike...she's called Esme ;)

one more... check both ways before going across junctions.
  11. I am far from being an experienced rider as I have only been riding for 14 months (though I have done 16,000 kms). But I can honestly say that I feel far safer riding now than I do driving a car. I am very aware that if I come off the bike I am going to come off much worse than if I was in a car, but I feel much more able to avoid a crash on the bike than in a car. On the bike you are so much more in control of your own destiny because you are more manoeveurable and can get out of trouble more quickly. In a car sometimes you are just stuck and have to wear it. It's knowing the risk that makes you have to become so much more alert and aware and consequently a better rider. So advice from a comparative newbie is practise, practise, PRACTISE. Riding is just the best thing and the more you do it the more you love it.
  12. Nature will smite you down when it sees fit. Whether in your sleep or flogging some dark wet road with no brakes.

In short, when your number's up your number's up. :shock:

Enjoy life till then :grin:
  13. :WStupid:
    Being scared to die, is a waste of life.
  14. hi carlu

i was exactly like you about 6mths ago - scared as all heck on a bike. but i was determined to ride and also to get over my fear.

i passed my l's but i was nowhere near ready for peak hr traffic. i spent quite a few hours in the carpark at the dead of night getting my skills and control up to scratch, and just riding around the block. then i slowly started to get my confidence up and began to ride with more and more traffic and further and further. of course i had some moments but they were never very dangerous. now i really look forward to riding at any time.

i read somewhere on a US forum (i think) that you should have 30hrs experience on a bike before you are really ready for traffic - and that was pretty much bang on advice.

good luck with it.
  15. Buy a bike. Take it easy. Spend lots of time on the bike. Don't let peer pressure affect you on teh bike.
    Given time you will be a good rider with confidence and experience.
    Do an advanced riding course at the earliest opportunity after getting your licence. Seriously, find the money and do it.

Regards, Andrew.

16. Interesting... I've finally found the key to living forever. Ride a motorcycle! :p
  17. That's assuming you're driving a boring and uninvolving car. There are "drivers' cars" out there, just as communicative, involving and fun as a motorcycle to operate in the twisties.

That said, the majority of cars these days wouldn't fit that category (including many high-performance ones), you're right. :?
  18. Hi Carlu,

I've had about 5 weeks riding experience so far and while it can be nerve racking you will soon gain some confidence.

The thing that I find helping me most is practice. I try to find a quiet place every weekend and go to practice. Think about what you're trying to accomplish and practice it over and over. For me it's slow speed control skills.

I found http://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx to be an excellent source of information along with Netriders - read through all the older posts and you'll usually find something that you're worried / concerned about has been covered by someone else on the forum.

Wayne :grin:

PS - ATGATT - All the gear, all the time - don't ride unless you have all the gear on.
  19. nice, thanks for the replies, I wasn't expecting anywhere near 18.

I think I'll do what most of you suggested and that's just do it, practise up, read up and increase in confidence. All of my mates are into speeding, trails and risky motorbike riding and they seem to be fine and I don't plan to do any of that so I think I'll be right..

Thanks again