Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Illuminating rego with red light

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Mr Owl PhD, Mar 2, 2016.

1. I have decided to purchase a pair of Philips 1157 P21/5W Red X-tremeVision LED replacement globes for my GS500 tail/brake light. However they are all red, but apparently the only LED bulbs worth considering (so I have been advised). Which mean that I'll either have to take my chances with that, or if I must I'll have to work out if it's possible to somehow illuminate the license plate separately.

My main concern, (only concern really) is the brake light being seen with maximum visibility during the day. Having said that, do you think my rare excursions in night riding are going to bring me some grief with the Old Bill? What's the worst that could happen, a defect notice to change it, or some kind of fine.

Number plate lights
    (1) At least 1 number plate light must be fitted to the rear of a vehicle.

(2) When on, the number plate light or lights must illuminate a number plate on the rear of the vehicle with white light, so the characters on the number plate can be read at night 20 metres from the rear of the vehicle.

(3) A number plate light:

(a) may be combined with another light; and

(b) must not project white light to the rear of the vehicle except by reflection; and

(c) must not obscure the characters on the number plate; and

(d) must be wired to come on, and stay on, when a parking light, headlight or tail light on the vehicle is on.
  3. I bought a packet holding 2 replacement LED type bulbs,from Auto 1 for $35 or so. Supposed to be excellent quality, It lasted about 2 weeks. Back to std for me.
  4. I got a replacement number plate LED light from Jaycar. Wired it up myself and it worked a treat. Don't think it cost much more than $20.
  5. @DimeDime, you mean splice it into the wires that operate the running tail light?

Is that because you also put in red LED's or some other reason. Do you reckon this is an issue that draws attention, having the wrong colour illuminating the plate? I suppose it's only a night thing.
  6. No I just had to replace my old plate illuminating LEDs because they were flickering, so I didn't splice into any running light wiring just existing plate light wiring.