Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I'll procrastinate tomorrow. Maybe.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by The12thDoctor, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Lurking for three years? Guilty as charged.

I started riding later in life. Always wanted to do it but "life" happened - marriages, mortgages, kids, etc. Learning to ride just wasn't a priority.

Fast forward to 2011. I found myself between contracts and getting cabin fever waiting for the phone to ring with my next "opportunity" (pfft!, recruitment agents, right?), and the thought occurred that now was an ideal time. My only expectations were to learn a new skill, and tick an item off the bucket list. I didn't anticipate what was to come from this small idea.

So, Learner's permit late November and used XVS250 a week later. Man, riding it home from the dealer was intense! I could only do left turns, turning right just seemed more complicated than my skills would allow, and 40km/h seemed ludicrously fast.

I'd only ever wanted to ride cruisers, ever since seeing advertising for Yamaha's Virago around the turn of the century. The XVS250 is a discontinued model in the V-Star stable, replaced in that market segment by the now ubiquitous XV250, but definitely not the same bike. It was a lovely looking machine.

After my wobbly first ride my confidence rapidly built. Riding all day wasn't enough and I couldn't wait to do it again the next. More than just the challenge of developing the skills, I discovered I felt calm while riding, clear headed, less stressed. To my surprise and relief it helped keep the Black Dog at bay.

Three months to the day after getting my Learner's that little 250 got me through the MOST. I'd racked up over 9000km by then and, even though it rained all bloody day, it was a cakewalk.

Provisional licence in hand, it was time to go shopping. The 250 started getting breathless around 80km/h, and the wind gust from a passing *Yaris* would blow it around.

The XVS650A was a no-brainer. Kept that for a year past the Provisional period, just because it was rock solid reliable and handled two-up with ease. And even after adding 35000km to the odometer I *still* sold it for almost what I paid for it!

Then I found a Virago XV1100 at a price too good to pass up. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd always loved the look of them. Again, reliable and capable. A trend regarding Yamaha's was starting to emerge...

Still, the Virago really needed a sixth gear and greater fuel capacity. I knew what I was using a bike for by now and why. It was time for my first new bike, as in 0km on the clock, but none of Yamaha's current cruisers "spoke" to me.

Yes, in the interests of science, I'd tried a few Harley's - a Road King, Softail Deluxe, and a Heritage Softail. Meh. One test ride on a Thunderbird 1600, actually back to back with the Heritage, and I said "where do I sign?".

It's big, it's heavy, but so gloriously graceful despite all that. I can still filter, through generous gaps admittedly, the inner City doesn't phase it, and it covers distance with ease.

It's a keeper.

At least for now. The new Thruxton sure has some fine attributes, doesn't it?... ;-)

• Like Like x 8
  2. Congrats on the new newer and newest rides :)
  3. Welcome aboard Doc!
  4. Welcome, the 12th doctor, you won't tick the riding skill off your bucket list, what you will learn is never ending, so it will be fun for ever.
  5. Hi and welcome Doc, an awesome intro too, enjoy the big beast :cool:
  6. Nice intro, well done and welcome
  7. Welcome to the forum
  8. Welcome to the incessant chatter that is Netrider :)
  9. Welcome, I'm not usually a fan of cruisers but I'll admit the Thunderbird 1600 looks pretty nice! Although I do rate the Thruxton higher :p
  10. Welcome to NR
  11. Hello and welcome
    • Like Like x 1
  12. "Who's woods these are I think I know
    His house is in the village though
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow."

Welcome The12thDoctorThe12thDoctor.
  13. Gday mate. Welcome aboard
  14. lol The12thDoctorThe12thDoctor .... you've been around a bit and as I recall was it not you that gave me the directions to a most charming, big object for me to photograph....the big nemo?? ;) Riding - it's for life living! :D welcome
  15. I can't deny, twas I