Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ill fitting accessories.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Marx, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Yep. The mounting points never line up. Had to mod or force the holes to line up.

2. Nope, I’ve never had a problem fitting aftermarket parts to my bike.

0 vote(s)
  3. Not sure, all the aftermarket parts were fitted by the dealer/workshop.

0 vote(s)
  4. Not sure, all the aftermarket parts were fitted by the dealer/workshop.

0 vote(s)
  5. None of the above, or below.

0 vote(s)
  1. I’ve been stuffing around with bikes for ages now, & I’m not the sort of bloke who leaves well enough alone, everyone one of my bikes never remained standard for long.

Thing is, I’m always seem to run into the problem of certain bike accessories not fitting exactly 100%. Things like bike racks & aftermarket exhausts are a great example.
    I think BMW GS pannier & top box racks are notorious for needing adjustment or modification to fit in just about every example.

My latest experiences of this are Madaz slip-on exhausts & Givi rack & top box. In both of these cases they needed mounting holes ‘elongated’ or brackets bent to make them fit.
    I don’t understand why, it’s not like a particular model bike, like my Honda Hornet 900 for example, varies in dimensions from bike to bike. If the part is for a Honda Hornet 900, then it should just bolt on, all the mounting points should line up first go.

I’ve custom made parts in the past for my bikes, on the Hornet I manufactured a rear guard eliminator & it fits 100% first time. All the holes lined up, & no bending or modification was required. If some backyarder without the proper tools can do it, why can’t a ‘factory’?

And this is important point for anyone who bought a bike with aftermarket parts on it: Sure they’re fitted on your bike now & everything is OK, but the moment you go & remove it, don’t be surprised when you go back to re-install it the holes or brackets don’t line up. You’ll have to leverage it into position, or apply a lot of force to get it lined up etc.

[end rant] #2
  2. You get frustrated pretty easily don't you?
  3. I think a little frustration is reasonable when

(a) it is as easy to drill a hole in the right place as in the wrong place, and

(b) when an accessory is sold as fitting a specific make and model of bike. In the case of "universal" one-size-fits-nothing gear a bit of faffing around is to be expected, but bolt-on stuff should.

Still, I'm an engineer and so am trained in the use of large blunt instruments, so it doesn't have any practical effect on me :grin: .
  4. I was pretty disapointed with my slip on, it actually stuck out the back of the bike on an angle for reasons i cant understand but was verry easily fixed so i was happy either way.
    But you get what you pay for all of the big $$$ accesories i have bought have fit like a charm where as the cheap eGay shit requires you to reinvent the wheel to make it work, those 10 buck CBR windscreens are a good example of ill fitting.